" Sterilizing" existing tank for new arivals.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you may know, A mallicious fungal infection just recently swept through my female betta tank and killed every one of the bettas in it.

Now that they are gone, all thats left in the tank is a Red Claw Crab, Gold Inca Snail, Banjo Catfish, and 2 Otto's.

I'm not to fearful about these fish contracting what the betta's got because, quite frankly, I'm rather certain that it was some kind of Betta specific bug, With how it ravaged my Betta's so quickly yet my remaining fish are as healthy as ever.

Anyways, How would I go about cleaning the tank of any possible lingering traces of this mallicious bug so I may move some new residents into the tank without fear of exposing them?

you could try bleech or chlorine. but u might not be able to get it out. i think theres the old chlorox that is animal safe (i think there was an article on it) but i dont know if they make it anymore. you could try melafix or something. that takes care of fungus right?

William, I just can't think of a good way to sterilize a tank, short of tearing it down and bleaching it. If you want to avoid this drastic step, perhaps you could just keep the current occupants in there and treat the tank like a QT tank. Keep an eye on the fish there and don't add anything new for 3 - 6 weeks depending on how paranoid your recent disaster has made you. I hope you have better luck with your next group of bettas.

I'm not doing betta's anymore, atleast for a long while.

And I suppose I'll just have to wait it out..

Back
Top Bottom