still at it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was afraid of this...I just returned from a 3 day trip and my ammonia was .25. No noticable nitrites, and still a low nitrate reading. So apparently I'm still cycling? I made some changes because I thought my tank had finished cycling and everything seemed fine: I traded in 5 glofish and 6 guppies for 5 black skirt tetras and 4 jumbo neon tetras (finally found a small fish store other than Petsmart, even though it is even further away). I've checked my levels daily since the switch, except for the day I wasn't in town, I tested the day I left and the day I returned. Everything was fine when I left. Is this normal?

What size tank? It could be the new fish have a higher bioload than your old fish and your tank might just need some time to catch up. You could do a 50% pwc to get the ammonia down a bit and then test every day and keep an eye on things, if it's a mini-cycle it shouldn't last long.

I'm starting a new tank in my classroom and I can get some BB from the established aquarium in our library. Could someone please remind me the best way to seed a new tank? Should I use some gravel from the established tank? How much? Should I put filter floss in the HOB filter in the established tank? How long?

Back
Top Bottom