Still can't get Nitrate low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely darker than 40, maybe not quite as dark as 80, but certainly not between 40 and 20. That's what I'd shoot to get after a water change.

Nitrate isn't very dangerous to fish, but it's not good to have them swimming around in high concentrations all the time. In aquaponics I tried to keep nitrates near 60- enough for the plants, but certainly safe for fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Right and I have plants not really a lot right now because I haven't got my plant pods for my led fixture yet but I have 4 Anubias and 3 swords, i read a lot on Nitrate yesterday on many different sites some say 80+ some say 120+ is when it can cause stress which leads to immune problems where they can't fight off sickness. I'm about 50-60 I believe, yes I'd like to see 40 but i just don't see that happening, i don't feed like every 16 hours it's more like every 24 I'll feed at 10-11 pm and the next is the following night at the dance time , and I fast them once a week I can up it to twice but i don't feel comfortable doing it more than that as my little fish eat more than the bigger ones and my pleco I have to hand feed or drop an algae wafer in his cave.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tank right now

Attachments

• 1471519840413.jpg
    1471519840413.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 25
I guess im confused as what you're trying to say, I'm not over 80, you say you try to keep it around 60, now with 2 filters its likely I can get to <40 because I have a filter in each side, but i am going to get more plants. Are you saying my level right now is unacceptable or im just trying to figure out what you were saying not questioning your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't let me edit my typos
[mod edit: fixed]

By chance do you ever test the source water for nitrates? Would be interesting to know what it is and if it is contributing to the issue.
An additional filter is nice (I like redundancy in terms of fail safe measures), however, it necessarily won't help with nitrate removal*. The exception is if they are packed with nitrate removing media.
Look for fast growing plants for nitrate removal. Anubias/Java fern are slow growers and swords are heavy root feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tap is 2-5 ppm on Nitrate, reason I got the second filter is more turn over, plus I didn't have anything on that side to move anything over to the 110, plus water clarity

okay so I have 4 Anubias and 3 swords, I keep having to cut the Anubias because they grow so fast and grow compact so i cut them to thin them out, I just got the swords yesterday will they grow in low light? well i don't even know if I have low light tbh as its led and I have gravel their roots are under the gravel where the "stem" on the Anubias there's a special name for it is above the gravel. So we're the swords a bad idea?

Rhizomes of anubias and Java fern should not be buried; this is why they grow best attached to driftwood.

You can also grow houseplants (pothos, peace lilies) with their roots in the aquarium. I heard that this is a great way to reduce nitrates.

I think that swords need stronger light and supplemental feedings, and that they don't do well growing in gravel.

Well crud....

I guess im confused as what you're trying to say, I'm not over 80, you say you try to keep it around 60, now with 2 filters its likely I can get to <40 because I have a filter in each side, but i am going to get more plants. Are you saying my level right now is unacceptable or im just trying to figure out what you were saying not questioning your reply.

I offered some advice on reducing nitrates, but you defended your daily feeding and it seems as though you won't budge on that. So instead of repeating myself, berating you, or other conflict I simply gave you the reason that I recommended reducing your feeding frequency.

I'm saying that nitrates are the symptom, but nitrogen input is the root cause. The overwhelming majority of nitrogen input comes from excess food.

I agree that you are probably overfeeding and that the excess food/waste is winding up under your pebble sized gravel. You should seriously consider swapping out your gravel. There shouldn't be a mini-cycle if you don't touch your filters.

I offered some advice on reducing nitrates, but you defended your daily feeding and it seems as though you won't budge on that. So instead of repeating myself, berating you, or other conflict I simply gave you the reason that I recommended reducing your feeding frequency.

I'm saying that nitrates are the symptom, but nitrogen input is the root cause. The overwhelming majority of nitrogen input comes from excess food.

Sorry if you took it that way I said I would fast them twice a week instead of once, and I'm gonna do 3 pwc with 1/3 gravel vac weekly instead of 2, what i was asking is since my nitrates aren't that bad should I be as worried as i am? That's all.. I'm Not good with wording on the internet and I have a major anxiety disorder where doing 2 a week is rough and Im just worried my fish will starve, I've already cut the food i do feed back to half of what I normally put in there, sorry if you took it the wrong way I'm trying to take everyone's advice but i am also leery as i have lost so many fish i don't want to lose more is all

I agree that you are probably overfeeding and that the excess food/waste is winding up under your pebble sized gravel. You should seriously consider swapping out your gravel. There shouldn't be a mini-cycle if you don't touch your filters.

The second filter is bran new, my lfs said i would probably mini cycle if i did it, which is awesome to me because they don't try to sell me anything I dont need they did tell me smaller gravel would be better as its easier to vac but they advise against it unless i put half my gravel that's in there in a mesh bag and put it in the tank until the new gravel establishes, i just need a better vac like a python my vac is horrible I should of probably mentioned that.

Sorry if you took it that way I said I would fast them twice a week instead of once, and I'm gonna do 3 pwc with 1/3 gravel vac weekly instead of 2, what i was asking is since my nitrates aren't that bad should I be as worried as i am? That's all.. I'm Not good with wording on the internet and I have a major anxiety disorder where doing 2 a week is rough and Im just worried my fish will starve, I've already cut the food i do feed back to half of what I normally put in there, sorry if you took it the wrong way I'm trying to take everyone's advice but i am also leery as i have lost so many fish i don't want to lose more is all

You don't have to take everyone's advice. When I feed I do feed them plenty. You can try miniscule daily feedings or don't feed daily. Different strokes.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ahhh I understand now you feed pleanty for 4 days right and fast for 3 (don't feed for 3)where I get just enough where is gone in 2-3 min and fast for 2

I had to feed them tonight they were looking at me like if you don't feed us we're gonna eat each other lol.

Back
Top Bottom