Still deciding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyshortee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So far I've been told that African Dwarf Frogs, Sparkling Gourami, Shrimp, neon tetras, white cloud mountain minnows, and guppies could all be possible choices for my 5 gallon tank. I'm really thinking about upgrading to a 10 gallon tank, but the only one I've found so far is from walmart and has no lid. I'd like to have more than one fish in my tank so i'm trying to figure out what combination I could keep. African dwarf frogs sound interesting but in my 5 gallon tank there are a few holes in the lid and like I said the 10 gallon that I might get has no lid. I hope I'm not posting too much on here, I'm just looking for ideas. I'll attach a pic of my tank, in this pic it has plants which I no longer have but it's a 5 gallon.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394762158.541135.jpg

ADF's don't really need a lid on there tank as they stay mostly to the bottom, and there mega cute! Haha ☺️ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394762499.430065.jpg

I started with a 5g 2frogs and a beta, they did awesome together!
Now I have them in a 10g with guppies and they seem to be much happier haha ☺️

I started with a 5g 2frogs and a beta, they did awesome together!
Now I have them in a 10g with guppies and they seem to be much happier haha ☺️

Ooohh! That's cool! I'm kind of tired of bettas, I've had so many, I'm wanting to try something new but maybe a Betta with the frogs will be neat, I need to do some research on the frogs, to see if I will be able to keep them alive lol, but they seem really cute! I wouldn't mind getting a few.

First off, I suggest against neons. They won't likely live too long in a 5g tank. A 10g is the smallest I would suggest them in, and honestly, even that is on the small side for them IME.
A different option to look into is the ember tetra. They are great little guys, and smalelr than neons. There is also a microrasbora called a green neon that would work. A few more options are chili rasboras, least killifish or scarlet badis. Keep in mind, a lot of these nano fish are harder to obtain than your average tetra, and tend to be spendier. If it was me, I would try a betta and maybe a couple of adf. You are pretty limited in a 5g tbh.
Walmart sells a 10g tank kit that is reasonable enough. I had that one in the past, and everything in it worked fine. It did not include a heater though.

Really! I was born there but now I'm in Denver. Do you follow the cowboys? It's a shame the cowboys sent Ware to Denver to make the broncos even better!:oops: for fish you could do 3-4 of the smaller killifish. Look around on line and see which ones you like the best, there's some wild colors out there in terms of killifish.

Yeah I'm really liking the ADF option, I tried looking online at walmart but even searching 10 gallon tanks it comes up with smaller tanks, I'll look in stores soon to see what they really have. I would like to stick with my 5 gallon tank for now since I have it already. I will one day get a bigger one when I find a price I like.

Yeah I'm really liking the ADF option, I tried looking online at walmart but even searching 10 gallon tanks it comes up with smaller tanks, I'll look in stores soon to see what they really have. I would like to stick with my 5 gallon tank for now since I have it already. I will one day get a bigger one when I find a price I like.

If you are fine with minimal stocking, then the 5g works fine. They do make good betta tanks, and adf are great fun to keep!

Yeah, I don't mind. Would it have to be a female Betta or would male work as well? I was reading online the frogs like plants and something to hide in. Hopefully that won't pack the tank too full.

Yeah, I don't mind. Would it have to be a female Betta or would male work as well? I was reading online the frogs like plants and something to hide in. Hopefully that won't pack the tank too full.

Many times, frogs waste away and die when they are in communities. However, many people have a lot of good stories of adf with a single betta. Just make sure to keep an eye on everybody, and you might want to consider feeding the frogs with a turkey baster.
As for bettas, I personally prefer females. They are curious, and the shorter fins make them more mobile and thus seem more curious. That is just personal preference though. Either should be fine for you.

I have a plakat male beta, meaning his fins are short like a female, but he still has the beautiful bright male coloring. I chose this type on purpose because I know the long heavy fins of other betas does make them more lethargic and lazy. He is the most active beta I have ever seen. He never stays in one spot for more than 2 seconds!
Here is a picture of him to show his coloration, and you can see one of my endlers that he is kept with up in the corner showing off his fins too :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394775193.212087.jpg

I have a plakat male beta, meaning his fins are short like a female, but he still has the beautiful bright male coloring. I chose this type on purpose because I know the long heavy fins of other betas does make them more lethargic and lazy. He is the most active beta I have ever seen. He never stays in one spot for more than 2 seconds!
Here is a picture of him to show his coloration, and you can see one of my endlers that he is kept with up in the corner showing off his fins too :)View attachment 227909

Wow! I've never seen a male like that, he is very pretty! I do like the coloration of the males but like you say the long find do seem to make them a little lazy. Mine is old and just hangs out by the filter now days. I'm waiting until something happens to him then I will get the frogs.

Really! I was born there but now I'm in Denver. Do you follow the cowboys? It's a shame the cowboys sent Ware to Denver to make the broncos even better!:oops: for fish you could do 3-4 of the smaller killifish. Look around on line and see which ones you like the best, there's some wild colors out there in terms of killifish.

yeah I LOVE the Cowboys! I don't understand why they got rid of Ware! its is a shame :( I think he was one of my niece's favorite players. I myself am a Romo fan :) hehe. I have never heard of Killifish, can they be found at petsmart or petco? I'm not too knowledgable of many other fish places around the Dallas area. I think there's a place called reefs to reef or something like that but its a little more expensive.

No you can't get them at petsmart. Honestly you're going to want to stay away from them IMO, if I were you I'd at least go check out that other shop, though it sounds like a SW shop.

No you can't get them at petsmart. Honestly you're going to want to stay away from them IMO, if I were you I'd at least go check out that other shop, though it sounds like a SW shop.
I think its called Rifts 2 Reefs, I've been in there once before looking for a fish, they are pretty nice, I am pretty sure they have freshwater and saltwater fish. I remember them being more expensive then petco and what not but I guess that's not always a bad thing. I don't know of any others in the Dallas area. I've always gotten my fish from Petco. Petland isn't too far away, are their fish any better? probably not i'm guessing.

Back
Top Bottom