still no babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Palehorse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya
I have a 75 gall malawi tank and although i always have at least 4 brooding females, i've never found any babies. in the tank there is a 4.5'' upside down cat and i'm guessing that he's eating them. there is a bunch of slate caves, a few plants and 2 pieces of driftwood but the cat has huge barbs, so is it possible that he's using them to fish out the babies?
also, could it be because the cat doesn't get enough to eat? i try to feed him sinking pellets with the lights off, but the cichlids always get to them first. i tried zucchini but neither the cat nor the cichlids were interested. is there something i can do to finally have some babies survive?

It is the nature for some fish to eat babies. If you really want to save the babies, you will have to catch the holding mothers, and separate them into a breeding tank.

The upside down cat might very well be eating the babies, but don't forget that cichlids will also eat babies.
Are the cichlids mbuna?

Feed the sinking pellets after the lights have been off for an hour or more. The fish will be less likely to go after them.

the cichlids are some sort of not-very-aggressive hap mixed breed. a friend of mine has the same type and his fish have been leaving the fry alone. There are enough places they can hide from the adults at least. Unfortunately, I have a hard enough time keeping up with the 2 tanks i have, so setting up another tank is not an option.

i'll definitely try to wait until the lights have been off for a while next time i drop in some pellets.
Is there any other type of food i could try feeding the cat that the cichlids might leave alone?

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom