Still not cyclying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeeves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

My tank still reads numbers of 0 for all tests except ph ~7. It's been over a week and half. Did a 10% water change few days ago. Filter sponge growing good bacteria. What is up? It's 20 gal. Aquaclear 30 filter. 3 emerald cories.

So ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate each read 0 on the test score? If that's the case you either have a bad test or too few fish to have an impact on the bio filter. I am leaning towards the first. What are you using to test the water?

So ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate each read 0 on the test score? If that's the case you either have a bad test or too few fish to have an impact on the bio filter. I am leaning towards the first. What are you using to test the water?

I'm using the API master kit. I think I'll bring a sample to the store today. Thanks!

Hello Jeeves...

Corydoras need pure water conditions, so they're not a good choice for cycling a tank. You need hardy fish like Feeder Guppies, Platys, White Clouds or Danios. Fish that don't mind the poorer water conditions. You need several small fish. About 6 should be enough to start the "nitrogen cycle" in your 20 G. It's the fish waste that starts it.

Yo need to get some floating plants into the tank too. Anacharis (Elodea densa) and Pennywort are good.

Once you have the fish and plants in, you test the water every day for traces of ammonia or nitrite and if you have a positive test, you remove and replace about 25 percent of tank with pure, treated tap water. Just test and do the water changes when needed. When you have several days of "0" tests for the above toxins, your tank is cycled.

If you can, return the Corys and get some the fish listed above.

B

Honestly if you monitor your ammonia and nitrite daily and do WC's to keep levels at .25 or below there is no need to return the cory's. But you do need to add a few other hardy fish to get enough ammonia in the tank to get the cycle going.

New Tank, New Advice

Based on advice and further research, I'm off to get some floating live plants today and a few fish(still unsure which) to hopefully start my tank cycling. Getting the cories wasn't the best of ideas and I hope to not lose them. I'm not a fan of zebra danios. I will be checking water every day. Hope this works!:fish2:

Don't cycle with fish you don't like. What else did you have in mind for your stocking?

Said it before so I will say it again

Seachem stability

If I can cycle a 1000 gal in less than a week you won't have any problems with your tank

Tank Cycling

Hello again Jeeves...

While you're at the pet store, you could ask the fish person there for some used tank media. If you could get quite a bit from a larger tank than yours, you could instantly cycle your tank.

Just a thought.

B

I'll pick up Stability and ask for some used tank media. Great ideas and thanks! Thinking platys.

Hello Jeeves...

Just in case the fish person at the pet store isn't up on tank cycling. Take along a couple of plastic sandwich bags. Ask them to put the filter material into the bags. The material needs to be kept moist and leave a bit of air in the bag. If it dries out, the media will be useless. Get it into the new tank filter as soon as possible.

B

Everything going great!

Well, thanks for all the help everyone!
My tank is as follows:
3 emerald cories
1 panda cory
5 mickey mouse platys
1 ghost shrimp
1 bumblebee catfish.

all are well and happy and I check ammonia and use Stability everyday. The 30 gal filter is good for now. love the sand. using pellets and flakes. doing water changes. all is good. i love them! I created a LOST! theme inside the tank and it's very funny. We even have Jacob's cottage. Couldn't have been so happy without the help from this forum!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom