Stingrays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konrade

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you guys think would be the minimum size tank a ray could be kept in? Also, does anybody have any experience with them? I know they require good water conditions. Anything else I should know? TIA

Yes, there are surprisingly many different kinds. Here is a sight. Aqualandpetsplus.com. They have lots of info on feshwater fish.

Minimal tank for a teacup (reticulatus) ray, the smallest species, would be a 90 gallon wide...larger species, Like motoros (potential disc diameter of 24"+), need hundreds of gallons.

The tank should not be just cycled, but seasoned and matured, as water-quality is a big issue with rays. Sand bottom (rounded, river-type sand required), and one must choose tankmates very carefully.

Toirtis.... I have never heard of a 90 gallon wide.. what would the dementions of a 90 wide be? the only 90 gallon tank I have ever heard of that is pre-made is 48L X 18W X 24T.. would a 90gallon wide be 48L X 24W X 18T???
And how big does the teacup (reticulatus) ray get? Is it one of the freshwater species?

greenmaji said:
Toirtis.... I have never heard of a 90 gallon wide.. what would the dementions of a 90 wide be? the only 90 gallon tank I have ever heard of that is pre-made is 48L X 18W X 24T.. would a 90gallon wide be 48L X 24W X 18T???

Yes...they are reasonably common here.

And how big does the teacup (reticulatus) ray get? Is it one of the freshwater species?

Yes FW....usually about a 10" disc diameter and about 18" long overall.

greenmaji said:
Toirtis said:
Yes...they are reasonably common here.

Really? What are the common manufactures of this size aquarium up there?

You which which manufacturers make them? Well, we have a couple of local companies that make aquariums in this size that supply a good part of Western Canada, and Hagen was producing this size a while back, but now the closest they seem to have is:
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=103&PROD_ID=01030410010101

It seems the smallest aquarium with that footprint that I can find is the 120 gallon.. but thats a standard size aquarium.. 48L X 24W X 24T.. I like the idea of wider designs but the biggest one Ive seen is the 40 gallon breeder.. :(

I was just at the LFS a few days ago and my g/f was asking one of the people questions about their reticulatus.

Basically she told us that the most important thing (other than of course having a mature tank and experience) is having a wide/long tank with sand because they love to just zoom down into the sand.

Back
Top Bottom