Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Stipid Stuff

This forum is for all to join in and tell us some of the stupid things you've done with your aquarium.

To start off, this week was a doosie, lol. First, a few days ago I finally received the digital thermometer with alarms. I was so excited, and set it up. I set it on it's stand above the light fixture. Later that evening, I went to feed the fish, and without looking, I opened the top like I normally do. The only thing is, I knocked the thermometer into the tank. By the time I got it out, it was full of water and no more display. Now I have to get a new one, as it's permanently damaged.

Then the next morning, I was in a rush to get to work, and was going to fill my filter cartrige with zeolite crystals. I filled it, put it in the tank, and turned the powerhead on, and guess what? Poof, tank is all white, lol. Forgot to rinse it off. So I quickly used a pitcher and filled a 5 gallon bucket with tank water, then I used the full 5 gallon bucket I prepped the night before to fill the tank back up. It's a 26G tank, so that's a quick 20% change. I hoped the fish would be ok. When I got home from work, I looked at the tank, and it was so crystal clear, I couldn't believe it, lol. I never seen a tank so clear. A major goof lead to a crystal clear tank, lol. And the fish are loving it.

So that's my stupid things I did this week. Tell us some of yours....

Old 11-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
When I put my last canister on the tank. I hooked up all the tubes, followed all the directions, everything was perfect. Forgot to take the cardboard sleeve out of the filter. Let me tell you it was one heck of a mess.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My fish came to the corner where I feed them and looked at me across the room. I melted inside and gave them some food. Silly fish. They made me do it. Their eye gaze is hypnotic.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
My eels are such pigs, lol. Got 2 fire eels, and as soon as the lights go out, start begging. Melts your heart every time.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:18 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I got a clog in my filter somewhere...somehow, and the water back up. It ran in a slow trickle down the wall behind the tank. Needless to say, there is probably a nice spot of rotting drywall behind it, and now a waterlogged and cracked baseboard on the floor. The paint is starting to peel too.

Shh, I haven't told the parents yet what my tank has done to their wall.

It wouldn't have happened if I had been paying better attention to my tanks lately.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Years ago when we were ignorant of even the most rudimentary fishkeeping basics......

We raised five beautiful Fantail Goldies to about 6" (SL)....
In a 35gal hex, uncycled at the beginning, over-heated, over-fed, thankfully well filtered (for awhile atleast) and in the end over-stocked, under-filtered, over-fed, over-heated and with our beautiful adored Goldies succumbing to septicemia, NH3/NO2 poisoning and digestive problems.

We didn't learn fast enough, we tried hard but it was a losing battle without moving them to a larger tank and we lost the fish we loved.
They were gorgeous, put my wife off Goldies for good.

Knowledge is Power!

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to cabbspapp
i was servicing my xp3 a couple weeks ago, and instead of pushing the disconnect handle, which stops water from flowing in the tubes, i decided to open up the lid for some dumb reason, and water was all over the inside of the stand. at least not much got on the carpet.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heh well this week was fun I moved a 25 gallon into the bedroom. I was empting the tank alone and apparently didn't tighten my python to the faucet well enough so when I went in to turn off the water(and figure out why it took so long to empty the tank) the bathroom was half flooded but I got the tank emptied moved and then began filling it again when my fiancee comes in and tells me she thought it was going to be on the other wall and didn't like it there...... so I emptied it again moved everything and filled it up.

The next day I move my 75 gallon in the spot were the 25 was. I get some help moving it from a friend but he leaves and I began filling it. Well its takeing awhile and I figure I should test and do some maintenance on my fiancees 10 gallon. Well I get all into the 10 gallon and totaly forget I am filling a large aquarium in the next room until I hear splashing on the hardwood...... I run in there to find the tank over flowing. I hit the valve turn the python to drain and push my big screen tv out of the way of creeping water. I then spend the next hour cleaning up water :P Luckily that happened while my fiancee was at work so she doesn't know.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i cleaned out the reactor for my co2 system. for the rest of the day until the next morning, i couldn't understand why my ph was stuck at 7.6, but the co2 was running continuously. when i reattached the reactor, i forgot to hook the co2 back up to it. d'oh! did i feel dopey or what! luckily mish fish didn't seem to be affected!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know I posted this before but............ As a kid I was working on my 10g tank and dropped the reflector into the tank. It was an incandescent and I was going to change the bulb. I did not unplug or turn the light off. Reaching into the tank I put my finger directly in the socket. If anyone has had 110 volts of current go through their body while partially in water, you'll know what a "shocking" experience is. LOL. Rule #1 - Unplug your equipment when working on your tank.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good thing though you tell it again, Brian. It can never be mentioned enough. There might be more people dying on the street every day, but that's just stupid things you can easily prevent from happening. I have all my electronic stuff on a GFCI outlet .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com