Stirring sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
How many times should I stir my sand up? I try to do it once a month but I'm not sure if that is enough. Should I do it with every water change (do them twice a week) or with every other water change. I'm not sure how fast the build up can happen. I'm thinking about getting some MTsnails but I haven't made up my mind on it yet. :blink:

I stir my sand once a month. Usually the first water change of the month. It is ok to leave your fish in. You will prolly stress them out even more if you try to move them. Just make sure you turn your filter off when you do it so you won't damage your impaler.

I stir my sand once a month. Usually the first water change of the month. It is ok to leave your fish in. You will prolly stress them out even more if you try to move them. Just make sure you turn your filter off when you do it so you won't damage your impaler.

Thanks for the information! I was just sitting here thinking about it and wondering if I should do it more then I have been.

Do you have plants in the substrate? You're worried about build up of what?

No live plants right now but plan on getting some in the future.

From my understanding sand is notorious for developing pockets of toxic gas building up if it's not stirred for a period of time. People say it smells like rotten eggs and can kill your fish. :ermm:

IME IF the gas develops and escapes into the tank it travels straight to the surface and disperses without harming a thing. It is common in dirt bottom tanks and I have witnessed it escape and actually hit fish on its way to the surface without doing any damage. Its one of those things in the hobby that IMHO gets blown way out of proportion causing people to panic for no reason. I have had many sand tanks set up for years and have yet to encounter a gas pocket or an issue.

Last edited:
And corys love sand, be sure to get at least three together at the minimum preferably 5

What about some otos ? I recently adopted a few fish from someone leaving the island, in with them were 2 otos, and 2 panda corys, the pandas are in with my peppered corys in the 200 litre and it's like they have always been here :) the otos I put in my small 80 litre with a few male guppies and some fry , and the tank is amazingly algae free now ! The otos are amazingly cute and super good at their job,

image-779294506.jpg

Does anyone know how big these cute critters grow ?

What about some otos ? I recently adopted a few fish from someone leaving the island, in with them were 2 otos, and 2 panda corys, the pandas are in with my peppered corys in the 200 litre and it's like they have always been here :) the otos I put in my small 80 litre with a few male guppies and some fry , and the tank is amazingly algae free now ! The otos are amazingly cute and super good at their job,

View attachment 207135

Does anyone know how big these cute critters grow ?

They should stay pretty small I think and I have thought about getting a few. Another cute little fish. :smitten:

What about some otos ? I recently adopted a few fish from someone leaving the island, in with them were 2 otos, and 2 panda corys, the pandas are in with my peppered corys in the 200 litre and it's like they have always been here :) the otos I put in my small 80 litre with a few male guppies and some fry , and the tank is amazingly algae free now ! The otos are amazingly cute and super good at their job, Does anyone know how big these cute critters grow ?
. I've purchased 8 of these guys over a month ago. I now have 4 left. I did a little research and most of these guys are directly caught from the wild. So you need a veryyyyyy mature tank to keep them prestine. My biggest one is a little bigger than a inch.

Edit: you should probably get Atleast 4 otos because they love their schools.

. I've purchased 8 of these guys over a month ago. I now have 4 left. I did a little research and most of these guys are directly caught from the wild. So you need a veryyyyyy mature tank to keep them prestine. My biggest one is a little bigger than a inch. Edit: you should probably get Atleast 4 otos because they love their schools.

Yeah I didn't buy them, someone was leaving and they needed homes, I've tried 3pet stores here (Tenerife) and none sell otos ! So I just have to keep searching, I know the girl I got them from had a brand new tank and she had them 7 months, they are happy in my tank it's been up and running for 3 years .. Really want more .

Either way, cories or otos, I would advise getting a group of one or the other instead of a few of each. The fish should feel more secure this way and therefore happier. I had a single Cory once and if he wasn't hiding at the bottom and not moving, he was darting around the tank like a maniac. Did some reading, added 2 more and now they all stick together and just seem happier. And their colors really started popping out. One of them is my profile pic. When he was along he was more of a pale pinkish with light brown splotches. Now his colors are darker and more definite.

Back
Top Bottom