Stock for a 8g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I put any fish in an 8g other than a betta/dwarf puffers?

There are plenty of fish like guppies, platties, mollys, corydoras, etc. Possibly a dwarf gourami, that might be a bit much though. A good rule is one inch of full grown fish per gallon of water.

There are plenty of fish like guppies, platties, mollys, corydoras, etc. Possibly a dwarf gourami, that might be a bit much though. A good rule is one inch of full grown fish per gallon of water.

I would not put mollies, platties, or even cories in an 8 gallon...

Why? I've had 2 platties at a time in a 5 gal and a Molly in a 5 gal. They all lived for a year or so.

They have huge bioloads. I wouldn't put them in anything less then a 20g... I hope someone else chimes in to help explain, but I know these fish are not suited for that small of a tank.

Why? I've had 2 platties at a time in a 5 gal and a Molly in a 5 gal. They all lived for a year or so.
that's not good, mollies should live for years more than that. Mollies get fairly large and platies shouldn't be in a 5 gallon either. Very little {yet some} can go in a 5 gallon. IMO mollies need 30 gallons with lots of filtration. Platies need at least 20, some may argue smaller but that's just my opinion.

Because like what was already said they have a huge bio-load. Plus, they can get a decent size. Biggest platy I've ever had was around 4 maybe 5 inches (usually the females get that big). I've had platies get around the same size as my swordtails and those do get 5 inches for sure. So, they shouldn't be in anything under 20. I used to keep them in 10 gallons when I was a kid but I didn't know any better. We didn't have google or the information that is out there today about 19 years ago, lol.

Ok, the platy and Molly in a 5 gal thing was before I knew what I was doing, I was just stating my experience.

Hahaha a year? That isn't good. Fish are suppose to live a lot longer then a year :/ id say a 5 gallon is to small for anything other then some shrimp MAYBE and a few BABY guppies. Your a lot better off getting at least a 29 gallon. Your options are way more open. Personally when you have a fish in mind that you want... your going to get it. What i do is i fine and research the fish i want then buy the suitable tank. Not the tank first.. its a lot more work

What about a few celestial pearl danios or a pair of sparkling gouramis?

From my experience danios need something over 20 g (20 g long would probably be a good option). I didn't have luck with them in my 15 g and was told it was too small so I ended up taking them back. I'm not sure about sparkling gouramis I would have to look that one up.

To answer you about a drawf puffer, I think they have a huge bio-load and are messy eaters. Most people keep them in a 20 g or more although I've heard about one being kept in a 10 g (not sure if that is suggested though). They are also brackish fish.

I have dwarf puffers they aren't brackish, they are messy tho so over filtration is a must. For dwarfs you want 3-5g per fish due to bioload and territorial disputes. I have three in an 8g filter by an aquaclear 20. Three is a bit much for 8g but I wanted to give it a try, they have be doing fine so far tho I haven't had them for a very long time.

I seen on seriously fish that the sparkling gouramis can be in a minimum of about 3.5g but that seems pretty darn small for a fish that gets to be about 1.5 inches.

I would say your best bet is make make it a betta, snail or cherry shrimp tank.

Yeah I wanted to do betta but it's an open top tank and I just recently had a betta jump out and die on me. I don't want a lid.

I was thinking shrimp, maybe pumpkins since there is going to be quite a bit of yellow and red from the plants and/or Thai micro crabs, but I need to read up on them.

Would rather fish over inverts, but if no fish that catch my eye can work in this small tank I will go with inverts.

I have dwarf puffers they aren't brackish, they are messy tho so over filtration is a must. For dwarfs you want 3-5g per fish due to bioload and territorial disputes. I have three in an 8g filter by an aquaclear 20. Three is a bit much for 8g but I wanted to give it a try, they have be doing fine so far tho I haven't had them for a very long time.

I seen on seriously fish that the sparkling gouramis can be in a minimum of about 3.5g but that seems pretty darn small for a fish that gets to be about 1.5 inches.

You sure they are not brackish because all the information I've been getting says they are.

From my experience danios need something over 20 g (20 g long would probably be a good option). I didn't have luck with them in my 15 g and was told it was too small so I ended up taking them back. I'm not sure about sparkling gouramis I would have to look that one up.

To answer you about a drawf puffer, I think they have a huge bio-load and are messy eaters. Most people keep them in a 20 g or more although I've heard about one being kept in a 10 g (not sure if that is suggested though). They are also brackish fish.

Most danios wouldn't do well in a small tank, however Celestial pearl danios only grow to about a half inch, maybe full inch at most. They are a great little nano fish that would do wonderfully in an 8 gallon, but they can be pricey.

A dwarf puffer is a fun option, but most don't readily accept flakes. Some will take frozen foods, others will only take live food. Something to consider before rushing out for them.

Most nano fish that would be well suited for your tank are not as readily available at big box stores. Typically you have to order them online and they get expensive quickly. If you can get or make a lid you'd be much better off. Maybe try some mesh screen?

Yeah I wanted to do betta but it's an open top tank and I just recently had a betta jump out and die on me. I don't want a lid. I was thinking shrimp, maybe pumpkins since there is going to be quite a bit of yellow and red from the plants and/or Thai micro crabs, but I need to read up on them. Would rather fish over inverts, but if no fish that catch my eye can work in this small tank I will go with inverts.

Shrimp jump out of tanks too.

Yeah I wanted to do betta but it's an open top tank and I just recently had a betta jump out and die on me. I don't want a lid.

I was thinking shrimp, maybe pumpkins since there is going to be quite a bit of yellow and red from the plants and/or Thai micro crabs, but I need to read up on them.

Would rather fish over inverts, but if no fish that catch my eye can work in this small tank I will go with inverts.

If you are feeling ambitious and have the funds/space, you could make this tank a shrimp or betta tank(even though you want open top). Then you can get a bigger tank which would be able to handle more types of fish. Even just if its just a 20 gallon. :D :dance:

Back
Top Bottom