Stock Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haley1976

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 33 Gallon tank, its set up and cycling. I started with no idea what to stock it with, then 3 ideas, then back to 0, and so on... It feels like a fish yo-yo in my mind right now and i was actually starting to get pretty frustrated. :banghead:

I have looked into and read about Cherry barbs a lot, I have never had them before, but I am really interested in them, they are cute.. and peaceful which is good cause I would like a community tank. So a group of 4 or 5+ is what ive read to be best.

Ive also been reading about Boeseman's Rainbowfish... says they are peaceful fish as well and also have relatively the same requirements as the Cherry barbs (temp and pH wise), so I would like to try some of them as well... and i was thinking 2 or 3 Cory cats for the bottom?

So for a rough idea I have:

4-5 Cherry Barbs
3-4 Rainbowfish
and 2-3 Cory Cats

I know this isnt the greatest sized tank, but currently it's the biggest I have ever had and can accommodate right now. I absolutely do NOT want to OVER stock this tank!! I want happy and healthy fish, I guess like everyone else :) But I also want the color, with at least 2 different species.

So my biggest question... Is this too much? Will these all work together (what I've read they are all pretty peaceful)? If its too much, I would love to hear some advice/suggestions on a smoothly run community tank, with atleast the Cherry barbs or Rainbows.

Thanks for reading my long post :whistle: and thanks in advance for any thoughts!

What are the exaxt dimensions? Cherries should be fine but the bosemanis need longer tanks than most.

You probably could not get Boesmans, but there are smaller rainbows called dwarf neon rainbowfish that look very nice that only get 2-3 inches.

I would bail on the boesmani rainbows, as said before thy need a bigger tank than what u have, I have the same size tank as you an have a school if neon dwarf rainbow fish and they are awesome and would definitely work in your tank!

@GodFan: The dimensions are: 18'' Tall, 3ft long, and 1ft wide.

@Soul-Man22: Oh ok... That's all they are called is Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish? They school too? Are they pretty easy to come by? I live in a small town with just a crappy little pet store... 9/10 times they always have at least 1 dead fish in the tanks, its terrible. When the tank is cycled I will be going to the city to get my fish.

So I read the absolute MAX "some" Boesemans can get is 13cm. That's if they are lucky... is that true? Or are all of them roughly growing to that size? Its so hard to trust everything you read, that's how I ended up here. 13 cm I'm assuming yea, would be too big for the tank. I just wanted something a bit smaller (the cherry's) and then a small/med size to swim about, since they are peaceful as well, I figured I'd ask about them.

I'm half assuming 1 angel fish would need more then 18'' high? That was another idea I had. My mom had mentioned they had angelfish growing up, but they where small and didn't get very big at all.... she was trying to remember exactly.. but said maybe they are called something like "Dime Angelfish" but I haven't come across anything while I have been doing my research.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I will figure this out! lol... I hope =/

Hey I actually thought you were trying to squeeze bosemanis in a tall hex tank! My bad :( I think bosemanis would be fine in that tank. Are they the half yellow half blue guys? They would be ok I think.

If you decide not to get bosemanis I would jot get angels due to the tall fins. If you are wanting a larger fish look into opaline gouramis, skirt tetras, mollies, and platies. Also those dwarf rainbows are awesome! I know there are others but Im not a big fish person. My speciality is nano fish :)

Nah, not a Hex tank, lol. This is the Wiki page for Boeseman's: Boeseman's rainbowfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think we are talking the same fish. I figured they would be ok in there too, what I've read they get between 10-13 cm in perfect conditions, but I'd rather be safe then sorry. I have Mollies and Platys in 2 other tanks, so I'd skip over those, but thanks for the thought! :) Also, there was some reason I skipped over gouramis too, but for as much as ive read in the past few days of so many different fish, I cant remember the reason, lol. And yea, angelfish will pretty much be a no-go I think, just wanted clarification.

I think I'll look into the dwarf rainbows.... approx. how many of those would be good? Soul-Man says they school... so like 5-6?

"@Soul-Man22: Oh ok... That's all they are called is Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish? They school too? Are they pretty easy to come by? I live in a small town with just a crappy little pet store... 9/10 times they always have at least 1 dead fish in the tanks, its terrible. When the tank is cycled I will be going to the city to get my fish."

They also go by praecox rainbow fish. They do school pretty in my tank, they like hanging around with my danios! and they are one of the easier rainbow fish to come by, if the store doesn't have them then u could always just ask the store to order them in for u and go pick them up when they arrive.

I had replied, not sure where it went, haha. Anyways...

@GodFan: Im pretty sure we are talking the same fish. I've read 10-13cm is the max Boesmans can grow in the 100% perfect conditions. I figured they would be fine too, but I don't want to be surprized later and be FORCED to upgrade, as I don't plan to for awhile yet. Yea, I'll skip the angel's, I guess I just wanted to make sure on that. As for Gouramis... there was something I read that turned me off by them, however in the past 4-5 days of reading on this fish, that fish, red fish, blue fish, I totally forget what the reason was, LOL.

@Soul-Man22: Ok, thanks, I'll write both names down, I'm going to a big fish store on Monday, just to look, not buy yet, and I will definitely look for them! Maybe I will like them just as much, if not more, who knows till your in person :) So they are friendly and communal with other species just as the Boesman?

Yes they should be fine in a 3 foot tank. The dwarfs are friendly and are very cool. They are not as colorful as the bosemanis. More like a mirror silver color with red fins.

I'm going to a big store tomorrow, so I'm planning on checking everything out, and who knows, maybe I would like the dwarfs more, lol.

So, if I decide dwarfs, how many? And if I decide Boesmans? Maybe 3?

I'm going to a big store tomorrow, so I'm planning on checking everything out, and who knows, maybe I would like the dwarfs more, lol.

So, if I decide dwarfs, how many? And if I decide Boesmans? Maybe 3?

If you get the dwarfs get at least 6. Not sure on the bosemani.

Boesemani rainbows are really active swimmers, and adults are pretty bulky.... if you have never actually seen an adult it might be surprising how large they can get. I would not keep them in less than a 4' tank, personally.

Praecox rainbows are VERY colorful, just not when they are at the pet store. They turn blue as they mature, males have bright red fins and females' fins are yellow-orange.

Thanks everyone so much for the help! Plans for today changed, and I'm not able to go and browse fish as I planned. It's ok though, because by the time I can go, The tank should be well cycled and I can shop rather then browse :D

I'm going to go with the dwarf rainbows, it's been most suggested between all of you rather then the boesmani, and I think it will look cute with them and the cherry barbs :) I'm pretty excited about this tank ^.^

Thank you all again!

Thanks everyone so much for the help! Plans for today changed, and I'm not able to go and browse fish as I planned. It's ok though, because by the time I can go, The tank should be well cycled and I can shop rather then browse :D

I'm going to go with the dwarf rainbows, it's been most suggested between all of you rather then the boesmani, and I think it will look cute with them and the cherry barbs :) I'm pretty excited about this tank ^.^

Thank you all again!

Keep us updated!

I will! I can post pics after I stock it if you would like to see :) Wouldn't be fore like another week or 2 though probably

Back
Top Bottom