Stock ideas!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea thats what i thought. Just trying my luck ;)

Here is the tank as it sits now waiting to complete its cycle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1388945723002.jpg
    1388945723002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 51
Well in a 50 you can really only have one shark. Possibly two rainbows if you have a lot of caves and stuff.

Yea thats what i thought. Just trying my luck ;)

Here is the tank as it sits now waiting to complete its cycle.

That's a nice set up. With the sandy substrate I suggest you get one rainbow shark and a firemouth.

Thanks
I cant wait to get fish in there now! Yea rainbows are growing on me the more i look and read up about them. Gunna get a little cave to put in the right corner by the filter too.

Stock will therefore be
6 green barbs
1 rainbow shark
1firemouth cichlid
1 pleco
:)
Pretty happy with this!

Thanks
I cant wait to get fish in there now! Yea rainbows are growing on me the more i look and read up about them. Gunna get a little cave to put in the right corner by the filter too.

Stock will therefore be
6 green barbs
1 rainbow shark
1firemouth cichlid
1 pleco
:)
Pretty happy with this!

That'll be good. Make sure the cave is big enough for the firemouth. If you have enough caves and stuff it should keep the firemouth and rainbow shark from fighting over territory. Your stock is looking great! Are you planning on getting any rainbowfish?

There is quite a few plecos that stay small. Just depends on what you can find and want to spend. Clown, bushy nose, and rubber lip will all work. With just those fish you could up the number of barbs. That will also help with the barbs aggression. The more barbs in the school the less aggression they will have towards other fish. Even with 8 barbs you might be able to add another medium cichlid, a festivum, blue acara, or alto. Comp. could work. Most syno cat are around 6-8" so with the Pleco and barbs instead of a bigger syno you could get a smaller catfish like a stripped Raphael or hoplo cat.

8 green barbs, 1 blue acara, 1 firemotuh, 1 hoplo cat, 1 rainbow shark, 1 bushy nose. That might be a little overstocked, but as long as the water parameters were kept up on that would be an awesome tank.

That'll be good. Make sure the cave is big enough for the firemouth. If you have enough caves and stuff it should keep the firemouth and rainbow shark from fighting over territory. Your stock is looking great! Are you planning on getting any rainbowfish?

I wouldn't put rainbow fish with those aggressive fish..

If rainbowfish are ok with african knife fish, elephant nose, tiger barbs, redtail shark, and a kissing gourami they should be fine with this stock.

I like the idea of having a planted tank but as im a beginner iv got fake plants for starters. Have a sand substrate tank though so can i convert to real plants using same sand?

Also like all fish ideas bu wont corys get eatern by shark and wouldnt the syno cat be too big for my tank?

To answer you question on the plants...yes you can use the sand you have in your tank to convert it into a planted tank...however I'm not familiar with the cichlids you are thinking about getting but I do know that some cichlids aren't plant friendly so you might want to look into that before you get any plants

With a firemouth I don't recommend live plants. They like to burrow and dig thru the sand and that can tear up the roots. I'm not too sure on whether the actually eat the plants but I know they can destroy the roots.

Ok well i wont be converting to a planted tank for some time but nice to no for future reference i can use sand. Would just sand be fine? Wouldnt have to add fertilizer or anything underneath?

It depends on what kind of plants you have/want. I stick to plants that dont need any extra maintenance, just trimming when they to big. It also depends how much you want them to grow. The addition of co2 and ferts will make them grown more. You can make a planted tank as simple or as complicated as you want.

Whats a plant that needs no maintenance then?

Back
Top Bottom