Stocking 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been cycling a 10gal, and plan to add fish soon. I'm looking for some recommendations for fun, playful and colorful fish. I think I want corys and otos to keep the tank clean, but I'm not sure what else. I'd also like to plant the tank, I have an 15 watt full spectrum NO light strip over a glass top. Are there any great fish/plant combinations? My lfs has a lot of Barbs that I've been looking at, and a few low light plants. Any other suggestions?

depends on what kind of barbs you want, most that i've seen need their swimming space as their always active.. do you like dwarf gourami at all? they are pretty cool and colorful. the females are a big contrast to the males because they are mostly silver in color.. if i were you when i got my plants started, i would throw a 20w bulb in for good measure..

Good call on more lighting. How many cherry barbs would I be able to have? What are some other small schooling fish? I have three dwarf gouramis in a 20 gal long right now, and they're very pretty. But for some reason I never warmed that much to dwarf gouramis. Are honey dwarfs a little bit smaller than the blue and sunset ones? Will they likely breed if I get a pair or two females and a male? I'd be interested in that.

Glowlight tetras, rummynose tetras and cardinal tetras are some colourful smaller schooling fish.
For something different theres also the black neon tetra.

I wouldn't put any kind of schooling fish into a 10gal! That;s just not enough space for them.

As far as dwarf gouramis go: I had one pair before in a quite big tank but it killed the female, now I have one that bites me and seems to be willing to kill me :lol: . So you got to decide yourself if you want a fish with such a character.

Honey gouramis are smaller than the dwarf gouramis. They are gentle and not aggressive. If you give them a good water quality they might spawn.

zebra danios are cool playful...not very colorful though. Dwarf gourami's are nice, but can be a bit fiesty, livebearers are fun...but kinda getting generic for me. Could try your hand at neons...but i wouldn't waste the money. lol

I think a group of small schooling tetra's would be perfect for your 10 gallon.. and maybe a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece. Or you could go with a couple of Gold rams or German blue rams.. those are beautiful fish that stay small.

Back
Top Bottom