Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would this work
Aqua clear 70
55gallon
5angels
6dwarf gourami
4 black skirt tetra
1kissing gourami(for now)
2 bristle nose pleco

According to what I've read about angels, you look a little overstocked on angels for the tank, especially with the other fish. And the Kissing Gourami could hit 12 inches, which is the width of the tank--maybe drop him, do a pair of angels, and up your black skirt school to 6+? Folks with more experience may disagree, but that's my thought. ^_^

IME with angels I wouldn't do more than a pair. If you haven't bought them yet when you go to the LFS try and find two that have paired if possible. I did this with my angels and they get along great! Good luck! :)

I would go with 2 angels, it will keep territory battles to a minimum. Also, with the dwarfs you have to make sure there's a lot of rocks, plants, and other decor, because they can be very territorial. Maybe only 2 dwarfs. Kissing gourami can also be fin nippers, so watch out for them with the angels. You could also look into bottom dwellers, like kuhli loachs, straiatia botia, Cory cats, and others.

2 angels, kissing, 2 dwarfs, 6 black skirts, 5 striatia botia, or even a couple rams.

calfishguy said:
How about four angels and 3 dwarf gouramies

I wouldn't recommend it I have 2 fully grown adults and they can be pretty aggressive to other Tankmates as well as other Angels! I believe they could possibly kill dwarf gouramis or do some serious damage! They will typically do ok with the larger gouramis though, I used to have mine in a tank with a kissing gourami but I observed them at times being territorial towards the gourami, but they never did any damage just a little pecking.

From what I have heard angels will kill everything in the tank if there are only two. And currently my dgouramies are not territorial at all. I never heard of anyone having any issues with them. My kissing gourami is the kindest thing ever he wouldn't hurt a fly.

calfishguy said:
From what I have heard angels will kill everything in the tank if there are only two. And currently my dgouramies are not territorial at all. I never heard of anyone having any issues with them. My kissing gourami is the kindest thing ever he wouldn't hurt a fly.

Here's the deal, you want to make sure your Angel's have plenty of their own space and 2 is good as long as they pair up good. I tried 3 first and it didnt work out the 3rd one was always picked on by the other 2! As long as you have tank mates that can hold their own you should be fine but considering angels can get as large as small dinner plates in a 55 gal I really wouldn't recommend more than 2, especially if you want other tank mates. Once they get large they will probably hurt or damage your dg's just sayin. I have mine in with a 6 inch chocolate cichlid who are known not to be real aggressive but if he has to he will hold is own with the Angels. That's all I have in my 55 gal long is the 2 adult angels and 1 pleco and it seems to be a pretty peaceful tank.

I've had 3 Angela for a few months now, they've grown exponentially but their bodies are still only about 3 inches long. They are very nice though and don't bother anyone, expect they do lurk on newly introduced tank mates but they never bight anyone. I have 6 boesmanis 2 bristlenose, a clown loach, and 2 blue rams.

Despite your comments I think I will still try 4 my lfs manager said that it should be fine and he has had fish for a long time that for the help.

I dunno, I myself would do 4 angels, 2 b pleco's, I would drop the skirts(find them to be fin nippers), maybe 2-4 dearf gourami's and 6 rummynose tetras or some other. Keep in mind angels are apart of the cichlid family and can be semi aggressive. and the kissing gourami would eventually outgrow the tank I think. Maybe look at opaline or another smaller gourami type.

Me and several friends have always had black skirts and have never found them to be aggressive in the least bit. And I have more than 4 angels in my 55 (with the black skirts) an have no problem. This is just my two cents.

Some people get lucky. I had skirts until they chewed my school of ten cardinals. Thankfully my lfs which I now work at replaced them for me and took back the skirts.

Actually I have had some with guppies and I currently have some with 2angels and they are fine. I have never had a prob with them being nippy

I kept a few black skirts that were given to me for about a year or so and never had a problem with them, but I have seen several reports about them being nippy, so who knows. I also see reports of danios being nippy but have never seen that either.

They say it because they have seen it or read about it. All fish are different. You know your fish best, make decisions on what you see in you tank.

I have made my final decision. Here it is

2 angels
6-10 skirts
The two bristle-nose plecos
The kissing gourami(until he gets too big)
The three dwarf gouramis
6 boesemani rainbows

An thats it

Back
Top Bottom