stocking 20 gal long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zelilaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
How should I stock a 20 gal long?

* I want to make it a planted tank- using this layout.
* I will be putting in 5 african dwarf frogs (I realize the difficulty of feeding them in a community tank)
* I LOVE redish orange colored platys, so I would like to have several painted platys or tuxedo platys, or the most common, sunset platys
:moon:

All the fish you listed will do great in a planted tank. The dwarves won't grow big enough to move or uproot the plants. I would go with about 6 red platys and 6 tuxedos or another platy you like. I wouldn't go with more than 12 platys if you're going to have 5 frogs. You will also be fine getting three types of platys and just doing small schools of 4, but I feel like 6 of each is better for them and it's not too confusing with only two kinds. What plants are you interested in?

All the fish you listed will do great in a planted tank. The dwarves won't grow big enough to move or uproot the plants. I would go with about 6 red platys and 6 tuxedos or another platy you like. I wouldn't go with more than 12 platys if you're going to have 5 frogs. You will also be fine getting three types of platys and just doing small schools of 4, but I feel like 6 of each is better for them and it's not too confusing with only two kinds. What plants are you interested in?

Thanks Sev! I remember you :p
The plants I'm interested in are the ones in the layout plan, java fern, and marimo balls.

Are you marimo balls the same as the "moss" balls that they sell at petsmart? If so, they get 12" in diameter so you'll need to trim them a lot cause that'll take up a world of room in a 20g

I'm not sure yet. I will be buying the marimo balls online from someone because I don't want to have to get them @ Petco or Petsmart and be unsure of their true-marimo-ness. If they grow too big, I most definitley be trimming them! They will be staying under 5 inches long. Always.

When the marimo balls get out of shape, just take them out and spin them around in the palm of your hand. If they get too big, just split them.

Back
Top Bottom