Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stocking 20 gal-your opinion vs AqAdvisor.

On the AqAdvisor site, I put 7 Panda Corys, 8 Neons, and 15 White Clouds for a 20 gallon tank. It states 87% stocked. Is that overstocking to you? What do you think?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to galen
white clouds are minnows right? lol, that's not a fish. that's an edible aquatic animal. neons are the same way. i say that aqua advisor is just bull!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

For a 20g I think that is about right. I wouldn't put too much more in there though, and add it all slowly -- you don't want to put all of that into a tank that is not established.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen View Post
white clouds are minnows right? lol, that's not a fish. that's an edible aquatic animal. neons are the same way. i say that aqua advisor is just bull!!!
so youre saying that catfish arent fish because they are 'edible'? that pretty much rules out about every fish then...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen View Post
White Clouds are popular tropical fishes. Neon Tetras even more so. Can you please tell me what is so "bull" about aqadvisor? I'd like to correct it if you could point out the problem.

Thanks.
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNitrite View Post
On the AqAdvisor site, I put 7 Panda Corys, 8 Neons, and 15 White Clouds for a 20 gallon tank. It states 87% stocked. Is that overstocking to you? What do you think?
I just checked DB - it just happens that your 3 fish selections are amongst the lowest bioload species in the entire DB. It also helps that you have 20g long, rather than 20g tall. Still, perhaps those fishes are rated a tad too low in terms of bioload. Let me experiment a bit more on your stock plan...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't see the problem if it says you are 87% stocked...it doesn't say you are over stocked.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscVelocity View Post
I don't see the problem if it says you are 87% stocked...it doesn't say you are over stocked.
This is one of those cases where the program breaks (at least my own) intuition. When I looked at the original stock plan, it looked overstocked. But after entering it in the program, it says it's comfortable. Now that I look at the stock again, keeping in mind the attributes of each species, it kinda makes sense... Those are tiny species. Even Panda cory is one of the smaller cory species. I would also tend to agree this stock plan is ok...
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I would say as long as there is enough room for the clouds and neons to swim around you should be fine. The cories will stick to the bottom/mid level. The neons are bottom/mid also and I'm not sure on clouds but I think they are midlevel also. The long tank will definitely help give more room for them to swim.

Tags
20 gallon, aqadvisor, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com