Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your Neons won't get eaten unless they are very very tiny. Apistos aren't called Dwarf Cichlids for nothing :)

There is little chance, there not that big - they will just get a chase now and again but they soon learn to stay away when the apisto's are breeding. If you want to encourage breeding get some dried leaves, I use almond leaves - they love them. The leaves will add slight tannins to the water but personally I think that makes the colour of the apistogramma show even more. Also make sure to get them a cave of some description, this is a must - a ceramic pot, cichlid cave or pipe, they really need a bolt hole.

I actually already have a cave. I made one when I did my aquascaping just in case. :) You can see it on the lower left hand corner of the pic.

Attachments

• 2012-08-04_16-08-28_312.jpg
    2012-08-04_16-08-28_312.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 64
jrcoolt said:
I just sent an email to one of them. They are kind of a chain. There is one here in Houston, and one in Dallas. I am hoping maybe they have different fish in Dallas that can be shipped over. Thank you all for your input. I got some really good ideas. I am so ready for my tank to be cycled so I can start stocking! Hopefully in another month or two it will be fully stocked! :) :thanks:

Sounds like fish gallery.
If that's who you emailed they will take care of you.

I use almond leaves and peat balls for the same reason, but also for the tetras and angels. And of course Borderlesscott I get them from England...lol!

The cave is good. Are you going to be adding any more plants. They do enjoy alot of plants and it also helps with agression and privacy if you put some small crypt or something by the cave to partically cover/hide it.

jrcoolt said:
I might go with something like this:

5 x Gold Tetra
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
5 x Neon Tetra
2 x Cockatoo Apisto (Apistogramma cacatuoides)

I am just afraid the neons will get eaten.

Sweet cockatoos are awesome here are some pics of mine!

Attachments

• image-3481107820.jpg
    image-3481107820.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1490718849.jpg
    image-1490718849.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-676383110.jpg
    image-676383110.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 65
The cave is good. Are you going to be adding any more plants. They do enjoy alot of plants and it also helps with agression and privacy if you put some small crypt or something by the cave to partically cover/hide it.

I am planning on adding more plants, but it never occurred to me to add one to hide the cave. I am definitely going to do that.

Sweet cockatoos are awesome here are some pics of mine!

That is a nice looking fish. What do they eat? Can I feed them flakes or brine shrimp, or do I need to buy different food?

Back
Top Bottom