Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
90 gal
Planted sand
Community
I'm wondering what to stock. Please suggest things.
Combine the following however you want so long as they are compatible and you include the guppies(unless that stock is fine in a 90.I'm assuming its too much)
6-peppered Cory
Swartz Cory
Panda Cory
Lemon tetra
Penguin tetra
Cardinal tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
Oto
10-guppy
2-albino longfin bristlenose pleco
1-German gold ram
German blue ram
Peacock eel
3-platy
Swordtail
Molly

90 gal
Planted sand
Community
I'm wondering what to stock. Please suggest things.
Combine the following however you want so long as they are compatible and you include the guppies(unless that stock is fine in a 90.I'm assuming its too much)
6-peppered Cory
Swartz Cory
Panda Cory
Lemon tetra
Penguin tetra
Cardinal tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
Oto
15-guppy
2-albino longfin bristlenose pleco
1-German gold ram
German blue ram
Male betta
Peacock eel
3-platy
Swordtail
Molly

Your male Betta is likely to have a coronary with that stock.

I agree, unless you have one of the few tolerable bettas you will have a fun time with trial and error (not really lol).

To help the odds of survival for the betta i would reccomend adding the betta then waiting about a week then start to gradually add fish. This will give it time to settle in and unstress.

If you gave propossed numbers of each fish, it would be much easier to make suggestions.

FishFanatic88 said:
I agree, unless you have one of the few tolerable bettas you will have a fun time with trial and error (not really lol).

To help the odds of survival for the betta i would reccomend adding the betta then waiting about a week then start to gradually add fish. This will give it time to settle in and unstress.

If you gave propossed numbers of each fish, it would be much easier to make suggestions.

The numbers are there. 6- peppered Cory and everything under without a number would be six of that fish. That's what I was planning to do with the betta. I proposed an almost identical stock for this tank in a thread that was accidentally deleted, and most agreed the betta would be fine since I plan to heavily plant, have caves, driftwood, and hide several caves in the plantings.

Yeah the betta wouldn't work. It's sad, because they are such beautiful fish:( I think the molly and swordtail will nip at the betta and the betta will attack the guppies. I do like your stocking so far, though(y)

emerald76 said:
The numbers are there. 6- peppered Cory and everything under without a number would be six of that fish. That's what I was planning to do with the betta. I proposed an almost identical stock for this tank in a thread that was accidentally deleted, and most agreed the betta would be fine since I plan to heavily plant, have caves, driftwood, and hide several caves in the plantings.

Sounds like it will be an epic tank, the stock seems great, just watch for nippers.

I wouldn't put a Betta anywhere near a Ram, my Rams take little nasty heads at times and if your not quick enough to get out of there way your in trouble. The rest is fine and it sounds like a cool set up, but would be a shame if the Betta got on the end of a bad tempered Ram.

Alright betta can have my ten. I want a betta sooooo much

I would remove one of the tetra schools and maybe a cory school. The betta will be much happier in your ten!

Samzter said:
I would remove one of the tetra schools and maybe a cory school. The betta will be much happier in your ten!

I removed five guppies in place of the tetra school.

hcourts said:
How is the eel in regards to all of your stock? Are they not carnivores?

Striped peacock eels,from what I know, have such small mouths they'd have problems eating bloodworms and newborn guppy fry

Oh!! I wish I would have known that;) I would have gotten one instead of my loaches:) stock lost sounds awsome by the way!!

Way too much going on IMO. The tank is going to look a whole lot more cohesive if you go for larger groups of fewer species. Do you have this tank yet?

severum mama said:
Way too much going on IMO. The tank is going to look a whole lot more cohesive if you go for larger groups of fewer species. Do you have this tank yet?

No but I do prefer a lot of species but smaller numbers of them.

OK, so 90g instead of 150g?
As for the eel, I will just say be cautious. I know some members on here have kept striped peacock eels in communities for small lengths of time (in proportion to the entire lifespan of the fish) successfully. Sometimes, it seems that stores do not label their fish properly, so make sure you are getting the smaller striped species. Yes, the striped peacock eel does have a pretty small mouth, but there is a lot of mixed info about their adult size. I would absolutely not say that an adult would have issues eating guppy fry. Guppy fry are pretty small, and much smaller than the worms I have seen these guys slurp up. As for your bigger fish, the striped seem to be pretty good with tetras and such. But, you are likely removing guppy fry I am guessing, so that might be a moot point.
As for your other stock, yes, it will fit, but there is a lot going on there. I honestly think you may have better luck with a couple less species and more individuals of those species. But, that's up to you. Sometimes tanks of this sort can be a bit chaotic and bring out the nippiness in some fish. Just something to consider.

absolutangel04 said:
OK, so 90g instead of 150g?
As for the eel, I will just say be cautious. I know some members on here have kept striped peacock eels in communities for small lengths of time (in proportion to the entire lifespan of the fish) successfully. Sometimes, it seems that stores do not label their fish properly, so make sure you are getting the smaller striped species. Yes, the striped peacock eel does have a pretty small mouth, but there is a lot of mixed info about their adult size. I would absolutely not say that an adult would have issues eating guppy fry. Guppy fry are pretty small, and much smaller than the worms I have seen these guys slurp up. As for your bigger fish, the striped seem to be pretty good with tetras and such. But, you are likely removing guppy fry I am guessing, so that might be a moot point.
As for your other stock, yes, it will fit, but there is a lot going on there. I honestly think you may have better luck with a couple less species and more individuals of those species. But, that's up to you. Sometimes tanks of this sort can be a bit chaotic and bring out the nippiness in some fish. Just something to consider.

Unfortunately yes.

^^ agreed. As stated before, leave the beta out. They are gorgeous fish though. If you want additional stocking help as to the percentage and filter capacity check out www.aqadvisor.com. Also very useful and fun to play around with! :)

I prefer not to use aqadvisor- drives me nuts. But I'll try it

Back
Top Bottom