Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqariumclements

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone I am new to the forum and just wanted to ask about stocking I have a fluval 125 litre tank with a 206 external filter and a 150l internal fluval I currently have
1 - rainbow shark
2 - torpedo barbs
4 - red eye tetra
3 - swordtails
3 - dwarf neon rainbows
4 - harlequin rasboras
3 - zebra snails
2 - wood shrimp

I know there is a 1 inch per gallon guideline however when over filtration and also a heavy plant load are added does this change that? I'm currently on the hunt for a much larger tank 400 litre plus so will soon be transferring some of the fish above

Leeds hey, I'm down the road. I think you're over stocked, that shark and the torpedo barbs need a long tank. Forget the 1inch rules as well it's old and needs to be forgotten.

Now you have the fish I would keep them if you're definitely getting a bigger tank (4ft at the very least), otherwise you should Seriously consider taking your shark and barbs back as they're super active fast swimming fish. The sharks can be aggressive when they become adult and will chase and possibly kill the smaller fish in your tank. Did you cycle the tank before adding your fish? I ask because we cant source ammonia here in the UK and other things need to be used to seed and cycle the tank to start the nitrogen cycle, a production of good bacteria that will break down the fishes waste and without cycling ammonia and nitrite will run riot and fish will become sick and or die without heavy regular water changes.

have you cycled the tank and how much and how often are you doing water changes? do you have a test kit for your water?

Last edited:
Hey thank you for getting back to me small word isn't it :) yeah I'm looking into getting a 6ft long tank however if I can't afford/find one of these then I will definetely be getting a 4 footer, the chap at pets at home said the tank would be more than big enough however i love the hobby and want to do what's best by the fish!

Yes the tank is fully cycled I'm afraid I was unaware of the fish less cycle and started the tank with three neon tetras a red eye tetra and a female platy unfortunately the neons didn't survive the process, the tank has been running a good 3-4 months now I have a test kit and also take regular water samples to the lfs just to be safe and this last month I have tested every week and all water samples ammonia nitrite and nitrate have come back 0 the safer one out of the two nitrate? Has ever so slight levels but I was told this is what the plants eat.

Hey thank you for getting back to me small word isn't it :) yeah I'm looking into getting a 6ft long tank however if I can't afford/find one of these then I will definetely be getting a 4 footer, the chap at pets at home said the tank would be more than big enough however i love the hobby and want to do what's best by the fish!

Yes the tank is fully cycled I'm afraid I was unaware of the fish less cycle and started the tank with three neon tetras a red eye tetra and a female platy unfortunately the neons didn't survive the process, the tank has been running a good 3-4 months now I have a test kit and also take regular water samples to the lfs just to be safe and this last month I have tested every week and all water samples ammonia nitrite and nitrate have come back 0 the safer one out of the two nitrate? Has ever so slight levels but I was told this is what the plants eat.

Yes, nitrate is a product of the nitrite conversion to nitrate and isn't as toxic, a reading for nitrate is good as you're witnessing the cycle taking place aslong as your ammonia and nitrite stay 0 you're ok. But as you've added all those fish quite quickly, I would keep a beady eye on ammo/nitrites.

The chap at pets at home would tell you what ever was needed to sell you a 10quid fish. Take what any lfs(local fish store/shop) tell you with a pinch of salt. Some wont be honest with you as theyre a business after all. Looking good though,

A 6fter would be fantastic but yes, theyre expensive and more importantly hard to transport! so unless buying new which would cost £££ you can forget trying to get it delivered unless very lucky. a juwel rio 400 is a good quality tank and used ones crop up regularly on fleabay ect. Every bit as good as the romas as i have a roma200 and the rio240, infact maybe slightly better as the supplied lights are T5. the rio 400 is 450litres and 5ft. looks much bigger in person. I actually squeazed a 4fter into my old fiesta 3dr!! so if youre willing to travel and have a bigger car than a mk5 fiesta you might be ok:lol:

Wow yeah jewel 400 looks really nice especially in black seen one on the internet and think I'm going to get it thank you for your help will hopefully get some pictures posted with my new set up and happier barbs and shark!!

Back
Top Bottom