Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Another stocking idea I have had- keep all the fish small. Before I wanted large corys, amongst angelfish and black neon tetras, in my 37 gallon. But how does this sound: 5 rummy nose tetras, 6 marbled hatchetfish, 8 black neon tetras, 9 pygmy corys, 10 neon tetras, a few assassin snails and possibly a clown pleco a year into the future. Soud overstocked? Following the cubic inch if fish per square inch of water surface, I have a tiny bit to spare, and I have plenty of filter capacity and frequent water changes.

Update: according to aqadvisor its about 100-115% with these fish, that okay with low bioload right? I read that u could fit about 8-11 tetra size fish in 10 gallons, that would be 32-44 fish.... And my plans are about 25 tetras, 6 hatchets and the corys. Totaled about 39.

Could someone give me an opinion? Sorry, its just after eight hours I thought someone would answer. Also, I have done a fish in cycle for two months (okay fine, 7 weeks) with four tetras, adding fish about four at a time will be fine right? The ammonia and nitrites are currently 0.

I think that's fine, I overstock my tanks but I do good water changes. Just do good water changes

Thanks! At first I hated tetras, I thought of them as the cheerleaders of fish (pretty and flashy but dumb and usually without a personality), but my black neons proved me wrong. I laugh so hard at the games they play- If i put a jar or something in they get scared an then investigate. The one I would say is basically alpha male darts in and out, and the others follow suit for up to an hour. Its like daring each other, and follow the leader. Thy aren't quite the same as an intelligent cichlid or gourami, but they are nice. On that note.... Could I add a dwarf gourami?

I would cut out a few of the schools, personally. Schooling fish look better in larger groups and an excessive amount of small schools make the tank appear too chaotic and busy. There's just something about a 37g's dimensions that are just very odd when it comes to perspective and space which is perhaps the main reason why I think your proposed stock would overstock the tank. I think it'd work better in something like a 40b or 55, but just an opinion. I'd skip the clown pleco due to its bioload but a DG should be fine.

I agree with above posters. Dropping one to school to up the numbers of another would be my move..

Yeah I have that amount of tetras and cories and an angel in a 55 and it's just big enough where it dosent look crowded I would recommend cutting the amount of fish by 6-10 fish

Back
Top Bottom