Stocking 45 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlonghorns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I am new to the site and this is my first time posting so I hope that this is the correct spot to be placing this thread! I am looking for advice regarding whether or not my list of freshwater fish are compatible as well as if they will be able to live happy and healthy lives in this aquarium.

I have a fully cycled, 45 gallon tank that stands 3ft across the front, 2ft in height, and 1ft from front to back. I have come up with a list of fish according to the 1" = 1 gallon rule and they are as follows:

2 Cory Cats (bottom swimmers)
2 Angelfish or 2 Dwarf Gourami (middle swimmers)
6 Zebra Danios (middle/top swimmers) and
6 Cherry Barbs (middle/bottom swimmers)

If I followed the 1" = 1 gallon (according to matured size) correctly, I would be at just about around 44 gallons. Would this be a solid roster to roll with or should I take some out or replace some with a different species?

Thanks for the help!!!
-MLonghorns

I'm not sure who came up with the 1" per gallon "rule" but I wouldn't use it for any more than a tentative baseline. By that rule, you could put an oscar in a 10g tank. Yet, one 10" oscar has more mass and produces a greater waste bio-load than 200 2" tetras.
Better to ask what kind of bio-load your system can handle, how often you're willing to do water changes and maintenance, and whether or not your fish will tolerate tank mates, or crowded conditions.
I believe your stock list will be fine for your tank, except corys prefer to be in small groups of at least 5. 2 corys aren't enough. THere are several small cory species, including the diminutive Corydoras pygmaeus, which reaches less than 1", and Corydoras julii, which usually only reaches about 1.5".
Also, I believe (I may be mistaken) that cherry barbs have a tendency to be fin nippers, and if so, may not be great tank mates for angels or gouramis.

That looks like a fine stock list to me. I agree with SherLar that you need more corys: I'd say a total of 5-7, including the current two. What species are they?

Regarding Cherry Barbs, I've never heard of them being fin nippers, though perhaps that's happened at some time. They're quite pacific.

Thank you for the fast replies! I spoke with my local pet store and they informed me that if the cherry barbs are schooling with 5+ They will usually tend to leave the other fish alone. However, I did decide to make a few changes in my list regarding the corys and the danios. My list of fish are now:

2 angels
6 neon tetras
6 cherry barbs
5-6 otocinclus

I am also looking to add some live plants and was wondering what types of plants you would recommend?

Thanks!

My list of fish are now:

2 angels
6 neon tetras
6 cherry barbs
5-6 otocinclus

An attractive list, but I have two concerns:

The angels are likely to make snacks of the neons: they're small enough to be tempting. I've consider cardinals or some other tetra of a similar size. (Personally, I think bloodfins look great with angels)

You should wait to add the otocinclus until the tank is mature and there's a good base of algae for them to graze on. They can be delicate in new tanks. You have the right number, though.

I am also looking to add some live plants and was wondering what types of plants you would recommend?

Thanks!

If you're new to keeping live plants, I'd recommend bulletproof plants, such as several varieties of anubias and java fern, and dwarf sagittaria .You can have a very attractive tank with just those. They only require low-medium light and no special fertilization, though the sagittaria will appreciate root tabs.

Okay thanks Barliman! I will definitely look into the cardinals or bloodfin tetras!

The tank has had 4 goldfish in it for about two years and for a short stint also a red eared slider so it is a fully matured tank. I am moving the goldfish to my pond soon, but in the meantime I am making sure the water levels in the tank are all safe before adding any other fish.

I would like to switch this tank from gravel to white sand, so in regards to the plants that you mentioned, would they all grow well in sand alone or would I need to add a specific type of substrate underneath the sand?

I would like to switch this tank from gravel to white sand, so in regards to the plants that you mentioned, would they all grow well in sand alone or would I need to add a specific type of substrate underneath the sand?

Well, the Java Fern and anubias aren't planted *in* the sand: burying the rhizome will kill them. They're usually tied or glued to rock or wood.

The dwarf sagittaria should do fine, as long as you remember to give the roots fertilizers.

Back
Top Bottom