Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stocking 55g

Well lets see if I got it right this time. All fish are 1.5 to 2 inchs
3 Labidochromis Hongi
1m 3f Melanochromis Johanni 1m 3f
3 Pseudotropheus Daktari
3 Pseudotropheus Livingstoni
3 Pseudotropheus Red Fin Tanzanian
3Pseudotropheus Red Top Zebra
Thats 19 fish but I plan to over filter. I have A large HOB now and am getting A magnum 350 pro for xmas .I realize I will need to do weekly water changes I plan 30%. Do you think this will work. I am planing on a bigger tank in the future.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think it should work since most mbuna are used to crowded environments. Also the overcrowding will be good to help reduce agression.

Old 10-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to trent
you will be just fine. use all the filters you have, (never could have to much filtration), and you chould only have to do a 30% water change every 3 weeks to a month. as long as you do not over feed, your fish don't stir up the gravel, and you have enough or better filtration. good luck!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to trent
you will be just fine. use all the filters you have, (never could have to much filtration), and you chould only have to do a 30% water change every 3 weeks to a month. as long as you do not over feed, your fish don't stir up the gravel, and you have enough or better filtration. good luck!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For now, yes you should be allright, the problem is that once they hit about 3.5" their going to be too big for that tank and it's at about that size that they start to get much more territorial and aggressive. I hope that bigger tank isn't too far in your future.

Also for the mbuna how many you can keep largely depends on the landscaping of your tank. Are there plenty of hiding places and such so as to cut down on aggression? If not, you will have problems.

Also, you do need to do weekly gravel vacs and I would not recommend a period of over 2 weeks between water changes. I have a 55 with 8 full grown africans and few large bottom feeders and I do about a 20% water change every week. Africans are very messy and it's important to have water changes to keep water quality high.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I had many little Mbuna once and then they grew up and things were not good
My current tank set up and inhabitants are here.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Perhaps I should have elaborated, with that type of fish list you are looking at needing about 150 gallon tank for them full grown and they are going to easily outgrow that tank within the year if not sooner. I would recommend cutting your fish list down to around 7-9 unless you are willing to commit to this otherwise you are just asking for alot of deaths and problems

BTW, IME Johanni tend to be very territorial.

Tags
55 gallon, stocking, stocking 55g

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com