Stocking 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have a 55g brackish with 5 bumblebee gobys 3 mollies(1 male,2 female) and 2 guppies(1male,1 juvenile female). How many more guppies/mollies could could I add? I'd like a large school of both but I don't want to add too many

Keep calm and drum on

Mollies and guppies are livebearers. And guppies typically breed like crazy and they'll inbreed real quick too, which leaves you with genetically weak fish. I'm not sure about mollies, but they're probably similar. I know both fish can give birth to several fry a month. If you're simply looking for schooling fish, you might want to look into something that isn't a livebearer. I'm not familiar with brackish water fish though...

If you're looking to breed your guppies and mollies, then you're probably going to need several more tanks to separate males/females in order to prevent inbreeding. :/

Mollies and guppies are livebearers. And guppies typically breed like crazy and they'll inbreed real quick too, which leaves you with genetically weak fish. I'm not sure about mollies, but they're probably similar. I know both fish can give birth to several fry a month. If you're simply looking for schooling fish, you might want to look into something that isn't a livebearer. I'm not familiar with brackish water fish though...

If you're looking to breed your guppies and mollies, then you're probably going to need several more tanks to separate males/females in order to prevent inbreeding. :/

I know about the breeding with guppies and mollies are just as bad but the downside is any fry dropped get eaten in minuets by my gobys :/

Keep calm and drum on

I know about the breeding with guppies and mollies are just as bad but the downside is any fry dropped get eaten in minuets by my gobys :/

Keep calm and drum on

Well, with a 55g, which only houses the 5 gobys, you could do maybe 10-12 of each--guppies and mollies--maybe add a couple more gobys too. Plus some ghost shrimp to take care of any food the gobys don't want like flakes and such.

Are American flag fish brackish? One of the girls at my lfs said they are and she normally knows what she's talking about but I want to make sure.

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom