stocking 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg07

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75 gal and it has a pacu and 2 common plecos.[the pacu is about 7in long,the plecos are 3-4in each.] i was wanting some suggestions on stocking more fish in this tank. any ideas are welcome

the pacu is going to keep getting bigger and bigger and likely beat any other fish you have to death. I speak from experience.

Pacu's unfortunately should not even be sold in LFS. In two years the one I had got 14" long.

If I was you, I'd get rid of the pacu one way or another...and start over with either a community tank or cichlids.

the pacu is going to keep getting bigger and bigger and likely beat any other fish you have to death. I speak from experience.

Pacu's unfortunately should not even be sold in LFS. In two years the one I had got 14" long.

If I was you, I'd get rid of the pacu one way or another...and start over with either a community tank or cichlids.

I have to agree. Pacu look cute in the LFS because they are smallish and people think they look somewhat like silver dollars. What the LFS don't tell people is how aggressive and big they get. I would go with a cichlid tank or community tank as well. If your heart is set on the pacu though you might get away with putting in another one about the same size. Move things around in the tank first to try and cut down some territory issues with the first fish.

X3. IMHO, all three fish should be rehomed before you are faced with doing so at even larger sizes. Then you could stock from scratch with whatever interests you the most (assuming you don't like whale sharks ;))

do u think petsmart would take it or would i nedd to really really get rid of it

I don't believe Petsmart will take in fish unless one of the employees takes it themselves. Try posting on CL maybe?

oh i feel stupid lol. anyways heres a pic sorry not good quality
22968-albums593-picture4129.jpg

As stated above, PetSmart will not accept fish from people; however, I know a lot of PETCO stores will accept adoptions for various types of fish, and they usually either just give them away for free to whoever is interested in them or sell them at a really reduced price, but usually just for free because most stores aren't allowed to resell fish like that which they've adopted from someone. So yeah, I'd check any local PETCO stores nearby you to see if they offer anything like that, along with craigslist.

Are there any LFS in your area? You could try them. My LFS will take fish from people and give them store credit.

Pacu is like a dirty word in this part of the country. Alot of people get them without realizing what they are getting in to. They will get huge and will eat anything you put in with them.

Also try a full service aquarium store not a chain store if there is one near you. Most of them are privately owned and would rather take the fish on trade than have it destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom