Stocking a 12-gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADW76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All:

I got my hands on a 12-gallon Eclipse aquarium and need some advice as to how to stock it? I'm hoping to find some semi-aggressive to aggressive fish to put in there. My main tank (30-gallon) is a peaceful community and was hoping to get away from that a little with this tank. I know its small, but there must be a few options for it. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks a bunch.

Well Zebra Danios stay fairly small and they are always chasing. You could try like 6 of them in there. Serpae Tetras stay fairly small also. If you want more than one kind you could try like 4 of each. That will get you some competition for sure.

Barbs are nice and start small but they will outgrow that 12 gallon tank. They would need to be moved into a bigger tank in the future.

I'll probably upgrade eventually... but not right away... and my experience with getting fish that will outgrow a tank, they'll outgrow it way before I'm ready to upgrade. Its too bad too, I was really diggin' putting Barbs in there, but they would NOT play nice with the fish in my 30-gallon tank if I had to move them.

There are 7 fish in my 30-gallon that are not compatible with barbs because of their large fins (Betta, Black/White Skirt Tetras). I also don't think I could move all 7 to the 12 gallon - it would be a little overcrowded I think.

Anyway, thanks for the responses... I'm really not sure what to do yet. Might have to just go community again and get some peaceful fish. Maybe a nice big Neon Tetra school or something...

But keep in mind that you really need to watch your parameters, the eclipse filters are cruddy, I had a few of them and they could not keep up with the waste created by a betta, a dwarf gourami, and 2 glowfish. Make sure you do water changes!

Thanks for the heads-up about the Eclipse filter... I got this tank for free, so I didn't really research the filter. We will see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom