Stocking a 16 Widescreen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cory is just a mention as many breeders use them for tank cleanup.
Things like temp/hardness swings can help promote breeding.
for me they breed when they want!
IMO the GBR are best at breeding from Nov-feb.
Can't find any reference to bounce this off but just me?
many breeders have great 'tricks' to force breeding.

There is no competition my friend!
Anyone working towards the same goal(quality fish) is definitely on my side!!

Hmm, that coincides with the SA wet season. That's a very interesting observation and very cool that they have retained that through so much line breeding.

Nils, that tank has come a long way and looks great, I had my doubts at first because of the odd footprint, but anything can be done with a little effort :thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, last day of dosing medicine today! Hopefully he'll be better soon. Little fuzzy thing right by his gill got smaller, but still there. I'm only supposed to dose for 3 days but I'm considering doing a fourth day, maybe it would help. He's still flashing every now and then but not nearly as much as he was before treatment.
Getting some more RCS in a couple weeks, and thinking that I might put them in here. Only worry I have is that they might get eaten. Thoughts? He leaves the Amanos alone, but they are bigger than RCS. Would you guys drop the RCS in here or put them in the 5.5?
My big crypt is sending out a baby! Right under the heater there's a small crypt with 3 leaves. Super excited because I love this plant lol. Might pull the baby plant once it gets bigger, right now I'm just going to leave it alone.
Pleco is just rasping away on the wood. 24/7, all he does. I don't mind, that's what I got it for. He's not as skittish as he was and he'll hang out in the front of the tank a lot too, just hanging on the glass.

Hey Ricky, I won't add a female ram until he's back to normal or until I can't see that fuzzy spot anymore. I'll update on his condition in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm, that coincides with the SA wet season. That's a very interesting observation and very cool that they have retained that through so much line breeding.

Actually just asked Andy(and any breeder ) about this in his wigglers thread.

Until your certain all disease has gone, I wouldn't put anything else in nils.......

^I agree^.

I'll add if you think the med made any difference ,but did not complete your goal KEEP TREATING!
The directions on many products can be as useful as our 'famed LFS advice'!!
I am not saying to dis regard the directions but be observant enough to recognize if you need to do more or less.

I dig the foot print of tank and if not for price would have one next to my 2 fluval spec V!
It lacks the surface area I feel is very important but with that taken into consideration the view of these tanks provide is outstanding IMO!(y)

Actually just asked Andy(and any breeder ) about this in his wigglers thread.

^I agree^.

I'll add if you think the med made any difference ,but did not complete your goal KEEP TREATING!
The directions on many products can be as useful as our 'famed LFS advice'!!
I am not saying to dis regard the directions but be observant enough to recognize if you need to do more or less.

I dig the foot print of tank and if not for price would have one next to my 2 fluval spec V!
It lacks the surface area I feel is very important but with that taken into consideration the view of these tanks provide is outstanding IMO!(y)

Okay, definitely will keep treating then. Looking for some medicine to help against gill flukes since I'm almost out of the Sera stuff. Anybody know something that works well? I saw some PraziPro, does this help kill off the flukes? I have no idea about sick fish, as you can see.
I like the tank because of the viewing space as well, but it's only 8" wide so it's incredibly hard to fit any rock or wood in without blocking the bottom off. It is also really high so it's hard to fill in that empty space with giant plants.

Yes Prazi pro treats gill flukes and don't feel bad in all of my years I've only had to deal with a few illnesses so when something pops up I'm usually like how the heck do I treat that?!?

Yes Prazi pro treats gill flukes and don't feel bad in all of my years I've only had to deal with a few illnesses so when something pops up I'm usually like how the heck do I treat that?!?

Just gave my LFS a call, they said they have API Melafix and something else I didn't understand. Probably going to stop by later to pick some of it up. Is it safe for the shrimp/snails? Don;t know if I should get the Melafix today from the LFS or order some Prazi off Ebay.......whichever works better, you tell me.

Prazi can kill the flukes but nothing touches the eggs!
That is why a 3-4 week treatment is recommended so they are killed before laying eggs.
Some say the prazi still didn't work and went with 'de los' from nationalfishpharm.com.

Fish Disease, Diseases of Fish, Medications & Fish Health Treatments
Good site to investigate treatments and diagnosis on.
My LFS carries their meds and they are high quality.
The prazi can be found on the gill section
Gill Disorders
and de los on the skin disorder section
Fish Skin Disorders

I think Melafix would be a waste of your money. It's tea tree oil aka melalucca and maybe aids with bacteria infections as to keeping them from getting worse but honestly it's not something you need to have in hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think Melafix would be a waste of your money. It's tea tree oil aka melalucca and maybe aids with bacteria infections as to keeping them from getting worse but honestly it's not something you need to have in hand.

^^+1^^
With added emphasis on the word "MAYBE" !

I only use melafix in tandem with meds for bacterial infections. I actually ran a course of furan and melafix on my red hump male, he had a touch of fin rot on his tail, but he's all good now.

I've only ever been successful using it with bettas with fin damage whether it's fin rot or the male ate his own tail. But yeah I used it in combination at that time also.

Double +1. I've done quite a bit of reading on Melafix. This of it like the Hydrogen Peroxide of fish. It(tea tree oil) just cleans wounds not cure diseases.

Caleb

I remember your thread from a little while back, "The Skinny on Melafix"
I ended up not going to the LFS because it wasn't on the way back home and I guess it wasn't a bad thing that I didn't go. So Prazipro should work? I'll go ahead and order some of that either today or tomorrow. I'm going to throw in a bag of carbon once I finish off the Sera medicine so I don't make some kind of a deadly potion in the tank lol. Is Prazipro safe with inverts? Really want to get that fixed ASAP.

Ordered some Prazipro off EBay for $12. Not too bad. Going to dose 20 drops tomorrow of the Sera stuff and then whatever is left the next couple days, throw in a bag of carbon to get it out of the water and then dose the Prazipro.

Ordered some Prazipro off EBay for $12. Not too bad. Going to dose 20 drops tomorrow of the Sera stuff and then whatever is left the next couple days, throw in a bag of carbon to get it out of the water and then dose the Prazipro.

Water change then carbon, sir.

Okay, will keep that in mind. 5th day of dosing today. Seems to be clearing up a lot more. Healthy fish, I see soon! Still going to dose Prazi just to be safe.
Second piece of wood still hasn't sunk. More of an update and pics after school today.

Welp, did a 25% WC on the tank today. Added a carbon cartridge thingy, one of those rip off ones Aqueon makes. I on't buy those any more, I just have a few left over from my beginner days :D Expected arrival for Prazi is Friday, and I ran out of the Sera stuff today. I'll wait till the water is clear before adding any Prazi. Hopefully this brings Mr. GBR back to normal. Sometimes I could kick myself in the butt, why oh why did I have to add Co2 that one day :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom