Stocking a 16 Widescreen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prazi came in today, water was clear so I dosed 4 milliliters of it. Says 1 treatment is 5-7 days, so does that mean I won't have to dose it again for another 5-7 days?

Yea the one dose for 5 days then another.
Read this;

Treatment:

For fish use, in tank treatment is the best.
The medication is absorbed directly from the treated water into the fish.

Typically, one treatment is all that is needed to cure the infection. The traditional suggestion for fluke infestation is repeating a single treatment in four or five days after the first treatment is given to kill emerging larvae which may have survived.

There are no known side effects of Praziquatel, but there have been studies to show it can become toxic in high volumes, which are somewhere around 40x to 50x greater than recommended dosing.

Taken from
Praziquantel as an Aquarium Fish Treatment for Worms, etc.

Yea the one dose for 5 days then another.
Read this;

Treatment:

For fish use, in tank treatment is the best.
The medication is absorbed directly from the treated water into the fish.

Typically, one treatment is all that is needed to cure the infection. The traditional suggestion for fluke infestation is repeating a single treatment in four or five days after the first treatment is given to kill emerging larvae which may have survived.

There are no known side effects of Praziquatel, but there have been studies to show it can become toxic in high volumes, which are somewhere around 40x to 50x greater than recommended dosing.

Taken from
Praziquantel as an Aquarium Fish Treatment for Worms, etc.

Thanks CB, good stuff.

I'll see how he looks after 5 days and if he still has some then I'll treat again, but I'll do it again anyway to take care of this eggs/larvae.
I'll snap some pics tomorrow when the lights are on.

He's back to normal again! Prazi definitely helped. Just one more treatment and I'm going to observe him, then he gets a girlfriend! Going to post some pics of him and the tank either today or tomorrow. So glad he's all better again!

Here are some pics.....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444162461.558233.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444162569.843632.jpg

That's the best pic I could get if the ram for now, he got scared right before the pics when I was moving the cholla wood ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444162649.525487.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444162674.328905.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Bandit! Just put in the second dosing of Prazi earlier, going to kill off anything left over and then that issue is out the door!
Ordering some RCS in the next couple weeks for this tank, going to see how big they are and if I should grow them out first in the 5.5. Also, I will be getting the female ram in the next couple weeks as well.
Pleco is doing fine, in my eyes he's even grown a bit. He still gets scared and swims off fast some times, but it's getting better.
So, as a spawning ground for the rams, will the lava rock I have in there suffice? It's not exactly flat, but I think it would work. Do they spawn on leaves and moss as well? If so, they'll love the sword I have in there!

The rams probably wont lay eggs on un smooth surfaces or plant leaves ,but they will anywhere if they want to.
Heaters,glass,silicone they like smooth.
I use terra cotta plant pot BOTTOMS.
They could be hidden easily?
Even smooth driftwood has worked for me.

That makes sense. I need to do something on the right side if the tank and I could incorporate those terra cotta pot bottoms into it. Should I be worried about the rams and adult/ juvenile shrimp?

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have never kept shrimp with rams so can't say.
They would probably eat small(baby) shrimp IMO?
Anything flat will be their choice.
It doesn't have to be a pot or tray,but I use them with good luck.

The shrimp should be about 1/2 - 3/4" long, so I don't know if I should put them in here. Maybe just put them in the 5.5 to grow out a little more and to get some new blood through the genes there? Once I have enough I'll probably put them in the 5.5 for now and then try some in the 16.

i would put the shrimp in the 5 gallon. Once they have bred a lot I would move about half of the population over to the 16 gallon.

Thanks Caleb. I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Another rainy day in Mooresville, NC. Which means it's a good day for me to go buy some fish! Might make a trip to one of my LFS to pick up that female GBR. Not too expensive there. I might also pick up another amazon sword, I love the giant one I have in the tank already. Going to probably put those RCS in the 5.5 for now, then see if I can move some over to the 26 once the populations grows. Fed the GBR some bloodworms today, he loves them! He doesn't like the pellets I have though. I think bloodworms are healthier too, but they are high in fat. He just eats whatever he can find, like baby snails, larval amano shrimp, and some plant leaves every now and then. Anyway, that's it for now! I'll post pics later if I end up getting the female ram.

Thanks Caleb. I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Another rainy day in Mooresville, NC. Which means it's a good day for me to go buy some fish! Might make a trip to one of my LFS to pick up that female GBR. Not too expensive there. I might also pick up another amazon sword, I love the giant one I have in the tank already. Going to probably put those RCS in the 5.5 for now, then see if I can move some over to the 26 once the populations grows. Fed the GBR some bloodworms today, he loves them! He doesn't like the pellets I have though. I think bloodworms are healthier too, but they are high in fat. He just eats whatever he can find, like baby snails, larval amano shrimp, and some plant leaves every now and then. Anyway, that's it for now! I'll post pics later if I end up getting the female ram.

Your rainy day was my rainy night :) was a nice storm here.

Yay for more GBR!

Caleb

Good luck getting him a girl!!!:flowers:
Yay for GBR!
They are cool little fish.:rolleyes:

Yeah, about that....
My LFS doesn't have any in stock right now :banghead: I called and they said they'll have them this time next week. I was really looking forward to a new ram lol.....Grrrr

Back
Top Bottom