Stocking a 16 Widescreen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update!

Getting some cholla wood for the plec today. It doesn't release tannins, right? That's really the only reason I'm not getting driftwood. Probably going to plant some small java ferns in the little holes it has, I have a ton growing right now anyway.

GBR is doing lots better! Almost back to normal, really. Only thing wrong with him is that his colors are still faded and every now and then I see him trying to turn around with just his head part, like a dog would to reach his back to scratch it. He does that every now and then and then I still see some flashing going on, not as often as the trying-to-turn-around action. I don't know what it is though. I doubt it's gill flukes because I've treated 3 times for that. Anybody know what it could be and if there is any cheap medication for it?

Plants - All doing great! Of course, not as well without Co2, but still growing at a fast rate! Blyxa is growing fine, didn't expect it to do so well in a low-tech set up. My crypts both started melting at the same time, lasted for a couple days and now they're back to normal. I gave them both root tabs. Probably the case. A

Anyway, that's it! Everybody is doing great. Lots of snails of course lol. Added 120 MTS. I really don't notice any poop from the plec, probably just because he's still a tiny guy. Going to put him in the 29 as soon as I get it set up. Probably December or January. Thanks for tuning in!

Thanks for the update Nils, gbr got any poop brobs or is his poop normal, should be colouring now........

His poop is normal, nothing I have noticed about it that is different. I'm thinking some kind of a parasite, but I may be wrong. Does anyone else notice similar problems with their rams?
Anyway, got those floaters and 2 pieces of cholla wood! Cholla is still floating, but should sink soon I think. Used the opportunity to plant some small java ferns in them. Hope the plec likes it! Also got a lot of floaters (thanks Junglefowl!!) Which include amazon frogbit, red root floaters and what I suspect to be water lettuce. Split it up between this tank and the 5.5. That's it! Pics soon

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know it's usually personal preference but why are you avoiding tannins? Don't like the dark water or ph drop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know it's usually personal preference but why are you avoiding tannins? Don't like the dark water or ph drop?

Yeah I don't like the dark water. Had that in my 2.5 gallon and I could barely ever see the puffer. Plus it would alter the pH to quickly, and that might be the final blow for my GBR.
The cholla wood is nice, just did a little messing around with it in the right side of the tank, still not satisfied but it'll do for now. One piece is still floating, the other sunk. Pleco and snails still checking it out. GBR couldn't care less lol. Still no diagnosis for him, does anybody have any idea what he could possibly have?

It's just a thought Nils, could he need a mate to show off to, may be stressed on its own??

It's just a thought Nils, could he need a mate to show off to, may be stressed on its own??

That's exactly what I thought as well a few times. If this is the case then it would be cool to add a female, but I don't know how the would react to each other and if the tank is even big enough for 2. I'm guessing it would be a hit or miss, but if it would help and if it is doable then let me know. Plus I would get some fry out of it, if they decide to spawn.

I think you could get a female, tanks not big but you don't have a lot in it, just make sure the lfs picks a female ( a red visible blotch on it's belly )

Well, now you got me thinking :lol: It's never been a problem with his colors and a female before so I don't know. I'll think about it. Might need to see how good the Rambandit's rams actually are :D

Here are just a couple pics of the tank and fish if I can get some

Attachments

• 1443183500896.jpg
    1443183500896.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 1443183530926.jpg
    1443183530926.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 1443183539355.jpg
    1443183539355.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 58
Thanks.
I noticed a small fuzzy spot at the base of the GBRs fin, added Sera Mycopur for gill flukes immediately. It's a three day treatment, hopefully it will help. I wont get a female ram till I figure this out

Very nice tank shot!

Thanks! Might just be me, but he's already looking better. Very solid black dot now.
If I do end up getting a female, how likely is it that they won't destroy each other? If they do end up pairing and they spawn, will they bully the pleco? I know they will if he gets too close to the eggs, but if he stays away He shouldn't get hurt, right?

Well, now you got me thinking :lol: It's never been a problem with his colors and a female before so I don't know. I'll think about it. Might need to see how good the Rambandit's rams actually are :D

You know where to find me!:cool:

Thanks! Might just be me, but he's already looking better. Very solid black dot now.
If I do end up getting a female, how likely is it that they won't destroy each other? If they do end up pairing and they spawn, will they bully the pleco? I know they will if he gets too close to the eggs, but if he stays away He shouldn't get hurt, right?
I can't see them really going after a pleco.
They often have it out with cories I have heard,but also have heard that cories lack better judgement?
A pleco is smart enough IMO to stay away from a bee hive!

Your ram looks like a fine specimen IMO!

You know where to find me!:cool:

I can't see them really going after a pleco.
They often have it out with cories I have heard,but also have heard that cories lack better judgement?
A pleco is smart enough IMO to stay away from a bee hive!

Your ram looks like a fine specimen IMO!

Lol what cory? The cory's all died of a parasite and the last 2 disappeared while I was on vacation.
I really do hope that he will pair up with the female when I get one!
How do I go about getting them to spawn? Not the main reason I want a female, just it would be nice to have them do that. I read that they may pair up, but not lay eggs. Basically my question is: How do you get them to breed? lol

P.S: Don't consider me as a competitor, I don't even have a grow out tank! :lol:

Lol what cory? The cory's all died of a parasite and the last 2 disappeared while I was on vacation.
I really do hope that he will pair up with the female when I get one!
How do I go about getting them to spawn? Not the main reason I want a female, just it would be nice to have them do that. I read that they may pair up, but not lay eggs. Basically my question is: How do you get them to breed? lol

P.S: Don't consider me as a competitor, I don't even have a grow out tank! :lol:

The cory is just a mention as many breeders use them for tank cleanup.
Things like temp/hardness swings can help promote breeding.
for me they breed when they want!
IMO the GBR are best at breeding from Nov-feb.
Can't find any reference to bounce this off but just me?
many breeders have great 'tricks' to force breeding.

There is no competition my friend!
Anyone working towards the same goal(quality fish) is definitely on my side!!

Back
Top Bottom