Stocking a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vanimal said:
The Otos have low Bioloads so you could keep those.

So final draft here..

-2 dwarf gouramis
-2 Otos
- 6 zebra danio
- 6 cherry barbs

Will this work?

Marinemammalover said:
So final draft here..

-2 dwarf gouramis
-2 Otos
- 6 zebra danio
- 6 cherry barbs

Will this work?

That will work but what kind of filtration do you have? And how often will you do water changes?

Marinemammalover said:
So final draft here..

-2 dwarf gouramis
-2 Otos
- 6 zebra danio
- 6 cherry barbs

Will this work?

Yes ... And you can even add the cardinal tetras ... Unless you don't want them.

All these fish have low bio-loads so regular PWC's will keep the water quality good.

vanimal said:
That will work but what kind of filtration do you have? And how often will you do water changes?

I have an Aqueon twenty power filter and an air stone and an air curtain. I was planning on doing water changes every 1-2 weeks ( i've only had the tank since last Saturday.)

Marinemammalover said:
I have an Aqueon twenty power filter and an air stone and an air curtain. I was planning on doing water changes every 1-2 weeks ( i've only had the tank since last Saturday.)

That stock should be fine but do weekly 30-50% water changes. It shouldn't be that hard 20 gallons are very easy to care for. Good luck!!

vanimal said:
That stock should be fine but do weekly 30-50% water changes. It shouldn't be that hard 20 gallons are very easy to care for. Good luck!!

Will do! Thanks for all your help! :)

Ok so I have been doing some research while I let my tank cycle and I was wondering... Could I drop the two dwarf gouramis and add a honey gourami? I don't want to get a dwarf and then have it die from DG disease soon after and I like the look of the honeys much better. The only problem is that I have a lot of circulation in my tank due to me over thinking the whole oxygenation of the water thing so I currently have an airstone and an air curtain in my tank. I read that honeys don't like heavy circulation if I turned one of those down/ off would it be okay for a honey?

You could definitely do that. Honey gourami are some of my favorite fish and I have one in my 20g tall too. I would also recommend upgrading your filter or getting another one to add to your filtration. Maybe look at getting another 20 power (or stronger if you can). On my twenty I have a AC 50 and a AC 20, although the AC 20 is mainly so I always have a filter ready for my temp quarantine tank.

Also, while your tank is new I'd up the amount of water changes that you do. Sorry if you mentioned this already but do you have a test kit? I'd look into some plants if you get the chance too. Gourami really like floating plants.

Back
Top Bottom