Stocking a 20g high tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trybal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two weeks ago i purchased a 20 gallon high tank and bought three cherry barbs, and three hi-fin platys. The tank is in the cycling process. Since this is happening I have lost the three cherry barbs. The hi-fin platys are doing well, recovering from Ich, but doing well. My question is what would be some good fish to get to go along with the platys in a community style tank? Looking for a little of everything, algae eaters, schooling fish and non schooling fish, but i do want some nice color assortments. What do you all suggest???

First make sure that tank is cycled. You don't want to kill any fish. What is the pH? This is a good guideline to start with. For example, you wouldn't want to keep rams (soft water) with african cichlids (hard water). You might want to have some guppies. They have a small bio-load and are very colorful. Danios could be another good option. Cories are be a good bottom feeder.Shrimp are a cool addition as well.

You could go with some tetras. They also have small bioloads, are extremely peaceful, and there are lots of options. Do you have any ideas of fish you'd like to keep? Once you know what you're looking for we can narrow it down.

I am not really sure what I want to keep. I am 2 weeks into keeping an aquarium. This is my first real aquarium. When ever i got to my LFS, I get confused on what to get, plus I don't really trust what they have to say as far as advice.... All the info I have gotten on here so far has been great much more down to earth.

I finished my Ich treatment, on the bottle it said not to run a carbon filter in my pump so I removed it. How long will the water take to clear up, its a little cloudy?

I do not know what my pH is b/c of where I live the water is really hard and when ever i would do a water change the pH will shoot back up.

I like the idea of having some shrimp and maybe snails.. The water stays really close to 80 degrees with my Ehiem heater and run a 30 aqua clear pump/filter, and a air pump and block.

I have had a twenty gallon high tank before :) if you're still cycling your tank I would suggest some danios, they're very hardy and come in many different varieties. They're also very active so they add a Lot of motion expecially towards the middle and top of the tank. I would suggest neon tetras but only after you get your tank cycled. Balloon mollies cycled my tank well and they should get along with your platies. 4 Black skirt tetras would be nice too

I am a fan of red eyed tetras. They are incredibly healthy and very unique looking. LOL they look evil actually but are quite nice.

I have had a twenty gallon high tank before :) if you're still cycling your tank I would suggest some danios, they're very hardy and come in many different varieties. They're also very active so they add a Lot of motion expecially towards the middle and top of the tank. I would suggest neon tetras but only after you get your tank cycled. Balloon mollies cycled my tank well and they should get along with your platies. 4 Black skirt tetras would be nice too

If you go with danios don't get the zebra danios. They like horizontal swimming space so 20 longs are best for them. Not sure about the other danios though. You'll have to do your own research on that.

Mollies are great too.

Back
Top Bottom