Stocking a 29.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah after some shrimp friendly recommendations in the invert section I think I'm going to go with a large school or chili rasboras, and some orange sakura shrimp. Thanks for all your help guys.

I think that sounds like a great combo. Be aware that chilis can be tough to find, so you will likely have to order online. :)

Yeah I think my Lfs can special order them for me. They had phoenix ones not that long ago so I hope it's not too big of a hassle.

Okay so i found a place online that specializes in shrimp. They have nearly every kind of neos you could ever want. I was looking at the orange rilis, red rilis, yellow, or regular oranges? Which colour do you guys think I should get? I just cant decide.

As for numbers I am thinking of starting with 12 shrimp and 24 chili rasboras. Will that be okay? Should I do less rasboras, more, or is 24 about right?

I have not kept chilis, so I am not positive about the number. I have kept similar small fish though and that seems fine. Just, be aware that they are rather sensitive (most small fish are), so stocking that many at once would require you to really stay on top of water changes. Personally, I prefer to stock in a couple of groups so I can get a good idea of what the fish are like, and how much space they actually need.
This is just opinion, but I don't really like the orange or yellow rilis as much. I prefer red shrimp. I feel like the yellow dont pop nearly as much. JMO. They are all cool though. Also, can be sensitive. So watch the water parameters.

Thanks absolute angel. I also prefer to stock in smaller groups but since shipping is 50 dollars I prefer to order everything at once than to pay 3 times. I'll post some pics when I receive them. It could be a little while since they are sold out of the chillies.

I don't believe she currently has chilis in stock, but check out About Msjinkzd | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd She also gets different, but very similar, nano fish in that are worth checking out. :) I am not too surprised the other place was out of chilis. Like I said they can be tough to find. The lady whose site I linked you is very good though, you could even ask her about chilis. She has excellent reviews and I have nothing but positive interactions with her.

Now this is me changing my mind again. Do you guys think some blue velvet and tangerines tigres would look better?

That is soley up to what you like of course. I am super into most of the blue velvets. I just don't most I have seen show color as well as your common rcs does, so I am not usually a fan of them for the money. I have only had minimal experience though. I know some people really love them. I would start with a cheaper, easier shrimp to get the hang of though, personally. JMO though. I am sure whatever you pick will be fine.

Okay so I have decided to go with orange shrimp simply because they a nice and bright and cheap. I no longer have access to the chili rasboras so am looking at some galaxy rasboras. Will they get along with the shrimp? I have done some research and some say yes and others no.

They will go after any small babies but tend to leave the adults alone. Lots of dense cover like moss and cholla wood will help protect the babies.

Do you think this would be dense enough? I could add some taiwan moss in the front right ish area though. Do you think that would look good?

Attachments

• 1411255452725.jpg
    1411255452725.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 57
Personally I'd say no. Denser foliage, more driftwood, and/or a little pyramid of cholla wood with moss growing on top would allow for more hiding/breeding places for your shrimp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is the same as pretty much any small fish, they will predate shrimplets, but leave adults alone. They are a smidge bigger than chilis, so they can fit a larger shrimp into their mouth. Though, certainly not an adult.
I agree that we are talking more a more dense planting. That is a good start though, and it looks quite nice.
Another plant to look into is something like hornwort. It is cheap, hardy, and dense. Star grass is another good one for shrimp.
Various sorts of caves work well also.

Okay well I moved the dwarf rainbows from my 29 to the 55 tonight. The orange sakura shrimp have been ordered and I hope to get them on Wednesday. I will start with just the shrimp and once I have a good colony going either add the celestial pearl danio or the chili rasboras if they ever get some in.

Sounds like a plan! Both of those species are popular nanos and can sell out fast and then take a bit to re-stock. Eventually they should be in stock though. Get some pics when you get your shrimp!

Well I received the orange sakura today. I ordered 15 received 15 but had one DOA. They are a little smaller than I expected so it might take a while before they reach maturity and become a brighter orange. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 1411595330832.jpg
    1411595330832.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 1411595345936.jpg
    1411595345936.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 1411595371775.jpg
    1411595371775.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 50
  • 1411595399142.jpg
    1411595399142.jpg