Stocking a 29 gallon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crickit99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have run into an issue as I bought 4 puffers and I don't have a tank for them...
I have time, so I am debating on buying a 40 gallon for them, or thinking of putting them in my 55 gallon, and moving those fish out.

I would have 6 swordtails (2m/4f), and a pair of platies. I would like to put some bottom feeders in with them, so a school of cories as well.
That just seems overstocked to me, what do you think?

I'm thinking I should just go ahead and get the 40 for the puffers...I'm just going to have to wait longer to get the tank set up.

Christina

I'm not concerned with the Puffers, they won't fit in the 29 gallon. I just want to know if the others will....

But they are South American Puffers, 4 of them. I want them in a tank at least 36" wide. I'm either using my existing 55, or buying a new tank for them.

Hmm...
I'm guessing the 6 swordtails are around 3.5" and the platies around 2.5" and then you plan on adding 3-4 cories. Well, in a 29 I would say it's crowded but probably do-able. Especially since the cories won't be using the same water space as any of the other fish. If it were me, I would probably try it rather than spend the money on a new tank.

I would say that whether or not you buy a new tank I would use the 55 gallon tank for the puffers. The more space they have the more interesting their behavior becomes. I used to keep my dwarf puffer in a 10 gallon but since everyone in that tank moved to the 29 gallon(it's former inhabitants moved to a 55 gallon) he has become infinitely more interesting.

I think I am going to just buy a 50 gallon (36"x18"x17") for the puffers. It is actually going to be about the same price as the 29 gallon would cost me locally, I'm just having to drive a few hours to get it.

Back
Top Bottom