Stocking a 30gal tropical tank, need suggestion! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a 30gal I'm planning on stocking with neon tetras and corydoras but I need some ideas on what to put in there with them.

So far I want to go with:

15 Neon Tetras
6 Corydora

Thinking of a dwarf gourami possibly or a pair of german blue rams.

All suggestions are appreciated.

A dwarf gourami would be good but I'd shy away from a "pair" of GBR. I think you'd do better with a single ram, it would stay less aggressive than if it had a mate. Plus the GBR's stay mostly in the lower tank regioins which is where your cory's would be. One is a much safer number. Have you thought about surface or upper level water swimmers? Something like hatchet fish (marble hatchets are very pretty) that stay at the surface. I have Threadfin rainbow fish which are small and stay at the surface. Either of these two species would go good with the fish you have listed.

I like hatchet fish but I've always been scared they'll jump out of the tank. I have a few exposed spots in my hood and they might be able to make it through.

The one way I found that really helps keep hatchets from jumping is to add some surface floating plants. That really seems to calm them and they will also tend to stay under them.
I think a dwarf gourami would be good. You could also just do a school or a different shaped tetra also. Ones like Diamond tetra's, lemon tetra's, or maybe white or gold skirt tetra's (they also come in long finned which are really nice looking fish).

I have a pair of rams in a tank and ive never had any problems with them and my Cories. The only time you may have problems is when breeding but mine are really passive.

So I introduced the rest of the fish after waiting 2 weeks from the first batch. Not too worried though because this tank has been cycled for two years and is very stable.

Now have:

15 Neon Tetras
6 Cory's
1 Flame Gourami

The neons still aren't really exploring yet but it took the first batch a day before they were comfortably exploring. The gourami was a bit shy at first but after an hour he was swimming around like he owned the place. The cories were absolutely elated to have more friends. They were all darting around the tank chasing each other and swimming from side to side.

Considered getting some kind of long fin tetra. Anymore suggestion that would match with my fish are appreciated, need some top swimmers. Too scared of finding a crunchy fish on my floor go for the hatchets. lol

I personally like harlequin rasboras for top swimmers. Super active and always schooling together. Fun to watch.

Ember tetras are cool for middle swimmers, they stay small and have nice color to them.

Congo tetra's and Blue Emperior tetra's have longer unique fins, especially the males. One of my favorite are the long finned white or gold skirt tetra's. There are long finned Serpae tetra's but they tend to be nippy fish.

Another good top swimmer are Threadfin rainbowfish. They are small and the males fins are magnificant.

Actually with time and maturity the females color up into a nice golden green just like the males. They may not have the magnificant fins of the males but they do develop their own beauty.

Back
Top Bottom