Stocking a 40g breeder.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big b

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have a 40 gallon breeder that is just sitting on its stand waiting to get real inhabitants in it. I have about 10 red eye tetras and a bristle nose pleco in there just to keep the cycle going. So my thinking is for this tank is semi aggressive. I have some thoughts already.
1 Senegal bichir
1 Blue gourami
1 African knife
1 Blood red parrot cichlid
I am not sure how well the bichir would take well to other bottom dwellers but I do have a couple of bottom dwellers that I would like to have if possible.
6 Pictus catfish
1 Red tail shark

I know that list is mostly not gonna go in the tank but his is how I work. I show what I want then I narrow it down to what would really work.

Can anyone help me stock this tank? I'm only 14 about to be 15 so I could use the help of some wise people to help me make some decisions.

Ok so I have a 40 gallon breeder that is just sitting on its stand waiting to get real inhabitants in it. I have about 10 red eye tetras and a bristle nose pleco in there just to keep the cycle going. So my thinking is for this tank is semi aggressive. I have some thoughts already.
1 Senegal bichir
1 Blue gourami
1 African knife
1 Blood red parrot cichlid
I am not sure how well the bichir would take well to other bottom dwellers but I do have a couple of bottom dwellers that I would like to have if possible.
6 Pictus catfish
1 Red tail shark

Not to ruin it but most of those will not work or need to be kept species only to maintain species only in a tank this size.

Will not work-
African knife- too big
Senegalus bichir- way too big

Species only-
RTS- due to aggression and size
blood parrot- some aggression and sheer size.

Can work-
Blue gourami
Pictus- though would prefer a 4ft 55g as they are very active fish.

I would look towards a bit smaller fish. I keep a Jack Dempsey in a 40 Breeder like this and I have to clean the tank x2 a week to keep water quality. She is only a 4 inches juvenile right now. So unless you want a lot of cleaning for larger fish I would tone it down.

Guessing from that stock in guessing you want larger fish. Www.aqadvisor.com is a great recourse for helping those new to the hobby in stocking and compatability so they don't overstock.

Caleb

Not to ruin it but most of those will not work or need to be kept species only to maintain species only in a tank this size.

Will not work-
African knife- too big
Senegalus bichir- way too big

Species only-
RTS- due to aggression and size
blood parrot- some aggression and sheer size.

Can work-
Blue gourami
Pictus- though would prefer a 4ft 55g as they are very active fish.

I would look towards a bit smaller fish. I keep a Jack Dempsey in a 40 Breeder like this and I have to clean the tank x2 a week to keep water quality. She is only a 4 inches juvenile right now. So unless you want a lot of cleaning for larger fish I would tone it down.

Guessing from that stock in guessing you want larger fish. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor is a great recourse for helping those new to the hobby in stocking and compatability so they don't overstock.

Caleb

I think the knife fish could work. African knives only get to 7 inches. They're not the huge monsters like clown or black ghost knives.

Another cool option would be peppermint pikehead. They're related to gouramis and they look fierce.

I think the knife fish could work. African knives only get to 7 inches. They're not the huge monsters like clown or black ghost knives.

Another cool option would be peppermint pikehead. They're related to gouramis and they look fierce.

It might work. But OP keep in mind Larger fish=Larger Waste. The smaller the tank the more maintenance to keep water quality.

Caleb

Ok this is good, we are getting somewhere. I am a bit sad that the Senegal bichir and RTS wont work. I am willing to do some big water changes. I am also planning to do a bare bottom tank. So stock is
1 African Knife
1 Blue Gourami
6 Pictus Catfish
How about a rainbow shark instead of a red tail shark?
Do yall have any other ideas?

You'd think the white house could accommodate a much larger tank?? I think 7 pictus cats is a bit much.. maybe a smaller species or a much much larger tank.. i don't think people take into account what a full grown fish will look like in the tank. Easy to list wants when they're all cute and small at the lfs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry I should have said this before, I have trouble measuring distance with out a tape measure.
1 foot looks like .5 foot, 7 foot looks like 10 feet, It is just hard for me to tell measures with out having a tape measure.

By the way, what are the life spans for these fish? I cant have the fish for more then 5 years because I have to go off to college in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom