Stocking a 50 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my dad is starting a 50 gallon tropical tank we are getting the tank tomorrow hopefully and I told him about cycling first and about all the different possibilities of substrates and plants he could do in a 50 gallon tank. We are getting a heater under gravel filter and and a canister filter. So question is what can we stock in a 50 gallon tropical tank?

1. Skip the undergravel filter. I've read a lot about how they are good for a little bit then cause problems later on.

2. I'm biased towards sand :) opens up many opportunities over gravel such as loaches/cories/ some other catfish.

3. There's plenty you could do in a 50g. easy live plants to start with: Anubias, Java Fern, Amazon swords, Java moss, anarchis, water sprite. All just need a decent light.

4. Are you looking for small fish like neons or larger like angels?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

We want medium or large tropical fish skipping angels due to aggression unless we can find some that stay small

We want medium or large tropical fish skipping angels due to aggression unless we can find some that stay small

I've never had my angel bother any of my fish. Though they will eat tiny ones.

How about a nice school of tiger barbs? Good with other fast moving fish and mine acted like pirañas during feeding it was so fun to watch.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I was honestly thinking of the tiger barbs since I currently have some in my 15 long and they are so fun to watch even when it's not feeding time! They are so energetic and fun to watch.

I was honestly thinking of the tiger barbs since I currently have some in my 15 long and they are so fun to watch even when it's not feeding time! They are so energetic and fun to watch.

15 is a little small for them so how about just rehoming them and upping the school? They would appreciate that!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

yeah i was just going to hold them there until my dads 50 gallon was cycled and ready to go

what else can we do with the tank if we choose not to do a community tank? are there any cichlids for a 50 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom