Stocking a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jack36547

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello readers,

Looking for some ideas on stocking today. I've currently got a 55 gallon tank nearing the end of its cycle, so it's almost time to load this bad boy up! I've currently got a 55 gallon community going, various tetra species, rainbows, mollies, and corydoras. I've also got a 20 gallon long aquarium with a juvenile oranda and fantail.

I've thought of going with Mbunas, I've never kept Cichlids and have read many good things about them and would love to give them a try. Another route was a pair of Oscars. Again, I've read many many good things about Oscars and their personalities. Although I don't like the idea of having just two fish in a tank, I think I could get accustomed to it.

I understand that a 55 gallon aquarium is not big enough for Oscars, and not recommended for Mbunas. I would purchase them with the understanding and wish to get a new, larger tank. (a good way to convince the spouse to get a one as well)

I am open to any suggestions or ideas and give my thanks in advance for your input.
imag0161.jpg
imag0166.jpg
imag0165.jpg

If you have 2 established tanks why are you cycling the 3rd? I just swap out some filter media from an established tank and add fish.
Always stock the tank you have, not the one you want/hope to get.
There are a few species of mbuna that would work in a 55, though a 75 or larger gives you considerably more options.
There are also CA and SA cichlids that would be fine in a 55. They're not generally too plant-friendly, but mix well with mid-size tetras or barbs. (Neons are in a bad position on the food chain...)
Cory cats or some species of botias also work in a 55, BN pleco's are good if you want algae eaters.

Back
Top Bottom