Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 240
Stocking a Small Tank

Hi everyone!

So now that my big tank is finally cycling I am looking at another tank. Lol. Ya, I got the bug.

A friend gave me a 15g long tank and a coworker is giving me a 10g complete set up. I'm going to set up one as a qt tank but I'd like to set up the other in my kitchen. What I'm wondering is what fw fish do well in a small tank? I want low waste fish so that I don't have to do pwc more than once a week. Also would be nice to have more than just 1 or 2 in there. I'm still a learning newbie so easy to keep would be good too.

I was thinking cherry barbs? Or rasboras? Or could I do a betta tank? Not a good idea to keep females with a males full time though right?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Hi everyone!

So now that my big tank is finally cycling I am looking at another tank. Lol. Ya, I got the bug.

A friend gave me a 15g long tank and a coworker is giving me a 10g complete set up. I'm going to set up one as a qt tank but I'd like to set up the other in my kitchen. What I'm wondering is what fw fish do well in a small tank? I want low waste fish so that I don't have to do pwc more than once a week. Also would be nice to have more than just 1 or 2 in there. I'm still a learning newbie so easy to keep would be good too.

I was thinking cherry barbs? Or rasboras? Or could I do a betta tank? Not a good idea to keep females with a males full time though right?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
I adore nano freshwater! I am your man on this one lol Here is what I suggest:
Ember tetras
scarlet badis (or any of its similar sized cousins)
hasbrous cories
Chilli rasboras
any microrasbora
endlers
shrimp
snails
and more

If you were interested you could do 6 ember tetras, 6 habrous (sp) cories, 2 scarlet badis, amd shrimp and snails in the 15 long. Go with lots of plants to keep trates down and keep water changes ton a minimum. Pothos vine roots hanging in a tank really really cut down on trates.
I have a 26 bow that is my nano tank and I love it. You really are going to love this tank!
__________________

__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan
I adore nano freshwater! I am your man on this one lol Here is what I suggest:
Ember tetras
scarlet badis (or any of its similar sized cousins)
hasbrous cories
Chilli rasboras
any microrasbora
endlers
shrimp
snails
and more

If you were interested you could do 6 ember tetras, 6 habrous (sp) cories, 2 scarlet badis, amd shrimp and snails in the 15 long. Go with lots of plants to keep trates down and keep water changes ton a minimum. Pothos vine roots hanging in a tank really really cut down on trates.
I have a 26 bow that is my nano tank and I love it. You really are going to love this tank!
Thanks GodFan! This was just the kind of info I was looking for!

I really like the look of the Scarlet Badis, Chili Rasboras and Hasbrous Cories. What kind of combo would work best with those three?

I have no experience or knowledge of plants. Do I have to run some kind of CO2 equipment?

Thanks again for the advice!
__________________
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,922
Scarlet Badis are shy. I love mine, but he hides if he gets startled.

Live plants don't have to have CO2 as long as you are staying in the Low to Medium Light range.

There are good stickies on the AA Planted Tank forum.

You can start with Anubias, Java Ferns and Java Moss.

There is a lot of info in the Freshwater>Planted Tank and Invert section
__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Scarlet Badis are shy. I love mine, but he hides if he gets startled.

Live plants don't have to have CO2 as long as you are staying in the Low to Medium Light range.

There are good stickies on the AA Planted Tank forum.

You can start with Anubias, Java Ferns and Java Moss.

There is a lot of info in the Freshwater>Planted Tank and Invert section
Thanks for the advice! I'll start looking at that forum too!
__________________
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Thanks GodFan! This was just the kind of info I was looking for!

I really like the look of the Scarlet Badis, Chili Rasboras and Hasbrous Cories. What kind of combo would work best with those three?

I have no experience or knowledge of plants. Do I have to run some kind of CO2 equipment?

Thanks again for the advice!
No problem! You can pay me back with pictures
I would recommend 2-4 scarlets (male female pairs if possible) 6 cories and 6 chillis.
Get low maintenance plants and no co2 is needed. Java ferns, wisteria, water sprite, anubias, crypts, and Christmas moss are great beginner plants with virtually no upkeep.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,922
One of my favorite Nano fish are my Celestial Pearl Danios. CPDs are like tiny Trout.
__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
lol they are. I forgot about them.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair
One of my favorite Nano fish are my Celestial Pearl Danios. CPDs are like tiny Trout.
Are those ever cool looking fish! I don't think I have ever seen them at my lfs, are they common?
__________________
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Are those ever cool looking fish! I don't think I have ever seen them at my lfs, are they common?
Now they are. But they didnt used to be.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So Flo
Posts: 2,235
I would suggest some neon tetras with some glow fish
__________________
vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Tank is too small for glowfish. They need a 20 gallon at least because they are very active.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 240
Boooo! I found out that you can't use a tank for fish if it ever housed rodents or bugs. The 15g had gerbils and stick bugs in it. So I'm picking up the 10g tomorrow. I'll have to ask if it has only housed fish.
__________________
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Boooo! I found out that you can't use a tank for fish if it ever housed rodents or bugs. The 15g had gerbils and stick bugs in it. So I'm picking up the 10g tomorrow. I'll have to ask if it has only housed fish.
It should be ok if it holds water. Just use a diluted bleach solution on it and then let it dry. Test it with a few feeder guppies first then move on to the other fish!
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny
Boooo! I found out that you can't use a tank for fish if it ever housed rodents or bugs. The 15g had gerbils and stick bugs in it. So I'm picking up the 10g tomorrow. I'll have to ask if it has only housed fish.
Not true. A good cleaning and make sure it holds water.
__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So Flo
Posts: 2,235
Oh I never knew that... Good thing I had mine in a 45 gallon!
__________________
vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,911
I agree, after a proper cleaning, you can still use that tank.
__________________
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 240
Well that's good to hear! I read in another thread the the urine never comes out of the silicone so you can't use it for fish anymore.

Went to my lfs (1.5 hrs away) today. They don't stock any of the fish I was looking for. I have to wait till my big tank finishes cycling anyways so maybe different stock will come in by then.
__________________

__________________
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
small tank, stocking, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.