Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Stocking Advice

You can see my current tank set up in my profile to see what I have so far. I want to get my fish to be more active and it seems, from my research, the key to that is to have more than one of each species.

My tank is well established. It was my dads for 7-8 years and he's a great fish keeper (just bland with his selection, IMO). I moved it to my house and set it up after letting it all sit for a few days. It cycled and cleared in a week, and other than my original clown loach and cory getting ich, my fish have been healthy and full of color.

I've got my tetras schooling nicely and they are my favorite fish in the tank. Iplan to add maybe 1 or 2 more of both kinds before I call it complete.

I need advice on filling out the rest of the tank. I don't want to over crowd it, but I'd like to have it nice and full (of action :thumbup: ). I have a 10 gallon tank that I've just been putting off getting a hood and light for, so I'm not opposed to moving a couple species if I need to.

I'm open to suggestions from everyone on how I should handle filling it out, so let's hear it.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add 4-6 more cories and 4-6 more khulis. Then maybe a small school of cardinal tetras.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks BigJim, thats what I wanted to hear really. I figured I could get more loaches and corys and be alright, but I wasn't sure.

Are tetras consider high or low or average bioload? Any place with some info on bioloads for different fish?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

AqAdvisor.com can give you a general ballpark idea of bioload.

A few very crude rules of thumb:
Bigger fish = bigger bioload
Messy eater = bigger bioload
Thick-bodied fish = bigger bioload

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com