Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MountainAsh87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm waffling between a marine setup or a freshwater set up - I still need to get equipment for either one - but I like to plan things out well in advance.

Boesemani Rainbow (5) and/or Silver Dollars (5)
Tiger Pleco (1)
Banjo Catfish (2)
Badis Badis (1)
Sanshoku Swordtail (1)

Assuming I go freshwater (again, still up in the air), it will be a heated, planted tank with plenty of driftwood, sand substrate, and nooks for hiding places.

Does this stocking look reasonable for a 60 gal, or would it have me overstocked? Tank is 48.5" long x 12.75" deep x 25" tall.

Go for it.

I would personally choose a mudskipper if you are able to maintain brackish water, in that case go for it. I also recommend choosing a betts for the first couple of months to build up healthy organic materials to make sure othe fish have a better chance.

I'm planning on fishless cycling before adding any live fish, and I'm not really going for brackish. I want true freshwater or full marine. Thank you, though. :)

I also recommend choosing a betts for the first couple of months to build up healthy organic materials to make sure othe fish have a better chance.

Or they could just do an actual cycle and be able to add the fish they want when it's done...

Not sure about silver dollars, but badis badis are predatory, so not sure how that would go with rainbows or swordtails. I'll tell you what I tell every one else lol, if you aren't sure which type you want, take a walk in a fish store and see what catches your eye. If you do go salt the startup costs tend to be higher, fresh is usually cheaper, but regardless decide first, then you can cycle the tank and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No problem

Another recommendation is keeping some elephant fish. Another good fish world be a pacu or dragon goby. But if u really want something interesting, get a peacocks eel

Or they could just do an actual cycle and be able to add the fish they want when it's done...

Not sure about silver dollars, but badis badis are predatory, so not sure how that would go with rainbows or swordtails.

Yeah. I'm totally planning on a fishless cycle, no matter what. I'm home on FMLA-protected leave, so daily water tests and adding ammonia is no problem. The wifey is around to help with heavy lifting things, if I need her to.

I heard that badis badis can get territorial with others of their own species, but they tend to calm down in community tanks. :( If that's not the case, I could skip them entirely. I'm biased because purple is my favorite color.

p.s. I'm female, but thank you for using gender neutral pronouns when that isn't clear!

No problem, but after a fishles cycle, I would get some drawf frogs to get the nutrition really going

Frogs, or anything amphibious, isn't really going to work for the setup that I have in mind. I'm looking for pure aquatic. It's going to be a well-hooded tank because I have two cats. I want an aquarium, not a sushi buffet.

No problem, but after a fishles cycle, I would get some drawf frogs to get the nutrition really going

Dude, that's not how that works, and dwarf frogs would not do so hot in this kind of setup, especially in such a deep tank.

Me too, I have 2 cats as well. And I totally have the tank covered. If you really want something amazing, you should get an archer fish. Ps. If you live in Alberta Canada, go to big al's in Edmonton

Hey OP, I screwed up lol, I was thinking badis the gudgeon, not badis badis! You can actually have a colony of badis badis, theu can be picky eaters though

OH! Yay! :D Thanks, Toad. Yeah, I totally want a Badis Badis. Just one, though, since I don't want territorial issues.

I would need a tank twice as large as the one I have to keep even a single archerfish. They can get up to a foot long. Nothing in my current plan should get above 6".

Back
Top Bottom