Stocking Advice: 40B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am currently planning on what kind of fish to stock in my 40B which is planted while I cycling my tank. This is the biggest tank I have ever own, so I am excited that I have more fish in a single tank. I am open to ideas but I prefer a community tank. The tank will be placed in the living room when you walk in the house. Filtration is a Sunsun HW302 and Aqueon Quiet 20.
Here is my possible list:
1 Opaline Gourami
8 Rummy nose
10 Sterbai Cory
9 Neon tetra
1 Scarlet badis
Establish colony of Red cherry shrimp

Will the opaline gourami be too aggressive for rummy/neon tetra and scarlet badis?

I agree to leave it out. Plus they are so small you may never see it again even if it does get enough food

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks good, agreed the scarlet badis would be pointless. It'd just hide all the time and slowly starve to death.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very well then I won't add the scarlet badis. Will the tetra be snacks for the angel fish?

Also would a school of 6 dwarf neon rainbow be too big in the 40B?

I could be totally out of line here but don't gouramis snack on shrimp?
Neon tetras could very well end up as food for an angelfish. A wider bodied tetra would be a better idea. I really like emporer tetras (I do keep kerri tetras which are similar).
Yay cory cats! 40b is a nice sized tank. Congrats!

I currently have 10 rummynose, 3 angelfish(soon to be 2, possibly 0 depending on how the tank evolves), 6 cories and a sturisoma aureum in mine. The tank still looks a bit empty, but I'll be doubling the tetras, adding 4 more cories and a pair of apistogramma.

I could be totally out of line here but don't gouramis snack on shrimp?
Neon tetras could very well end up as food for an angelfish. A wider bodied tetra would be a better idea. I really like emporer tetras (I do keep kerri tetras which are similar).
Yay cory cats! 40b is a nice sized tank. Congrats!

I believe they do, same with angel fish?

I currently have 10 rummynose, 3 angelfish(soon to be 2, possibly 0 depending on how the tank evolves), 6 cories and a sturisoma aureum in mine. The tank still looks a bit empty, but I'll be doubling the tetras, adding 4 more cories and a pair of apistogramma.

What type of species of apistogramma do you have? I am interested in them but have no experience with cichlid.

Watch out combining Angel and Gourami. Some fight. The most peaceful of the big Gouramis are Pearls.

Opalines, Blues, Golds are all color varieties of 3 Spot Gourami and they can be jerks as mature adults IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had sparkling gouramis make meals out of adult shrimp so it wouldn't surprise me if pearls did the same.

Everybody eats baby Shrimp except Otos and a lot of fish will harass or kill adult RCS. I established my Shrimp first, got over 100 before adding Nano fish. My Shrimp colony stabilized at about 25 to 30 shrimp.

If you have some areas of dense plants like Java Fern or Guppy Grass with some wood to hide in some people have success with their shrimp that way , in regular community tanks, they just may never see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would keeping 3-4 peacock gudgeons and a pair of apistogramma agassizi cause any issues?

I'd do 15 or so Rummys. They shoal tightly and look great on larger numbers.

Also, Rummys need heavily planted tanks to feel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is quite possible, not only would they inhabit the same region of the tank, their spawning habits are very similar so they would also compete for caves.

Between the 2, which do you think will be more peaceful in a community tank? Also what would happen if there are no caves in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom