Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so i am noticing that since restocking my 55 gallon tank, I just do not have very much going on in the middle/top strata of the tank.

Stocking List
4 clown loaches
2 dojo loaches
1 rubber lip pleco
4 emerald cories
2 platies
2 angels
1 silver hatchet (i know they are schooling fish, but a water change killed the rest of the school, and I don't want to replace them)
1 GBR

The platies, cories, silver hatchet, and gbr are full grown. Nothing else is full grown yet. Angels are at 2-3" not including fins, dojo's are at 6", and the largest clown loach is at about 5-6"

Any ideas of what else I could add to this tank that would get along with everyone else, but add some activity to the middle/top of the tank? I know I want to add one more clown loach while they are still relatively small (I will be getting a larger tank for them as soon as they need it, but right now they are fine), but other than that, I am stumped as to what else will fit.

How about a group of rainbow fish, or larger tetras? Angels will eat small tetras when they get larger. I'd also recommend getting 4 more angels, and returning the extras when a pair forms. Otherwise, you will probably end up with 1 after they mature.

the angels actually have already paired off.

and I do plan on upgrading to a 150 as soon as they need it :D

thanks for the good advice though guys, I really do appreciate it.

Any other ideas, keep em coming.

toddnbecka, what kind of tetras would you suggest? I have had lemons, and serpaes before, and am not really interested in keeping them again. What other large tetras are there?

rummy nose tetras do fine with angels, they are not "big" but they are bigger then the angel's mouth, i also like the look of flame tetra

i like the flame tetra better. the rummy nose are cute, but they look too much like minnows for me. I have never seen the flame tetras in the stores locally (i live in dallas texas), though there are a few shops close by that I don't go to as often.

keep the suggestions coming guys, I love it!

Congo tetra's would be good. Personally, I'm not fond of most barbs in a tank w/angels, but a group of rosy barbs shouldn't be too much trouble.

yea, I hadn't heard many good things about that combination. I have my tiger barb tank, I am happy with that lol.

I saw a pic of those earlier, they are kinda cute.

So basically, I could basically do any tetras, except neons and cardinals (so they don't end up as snacks eventually)

ooh, I had a thought. Could I do a school of 5 harley rasboras, and a school of 5 scissortail rasboras? Harleys look like they are big enough to not get eaten by the angel later on, as do the scissortails. I have had harleys before, and love them.

Is this a viable option?

Back
Top Bottom