Stocking Advice for 36gal BF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexa1s0nfire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank is cycled and bare. Just 6 guppies some driftwood and some silk plants...(I know real plants are better but I know absolutely nothing about planted tanks and am pretty sure my bulb and substrate will not suffice.) Anyway, here is the list I want to add.

6 guppies (all male)
6 Julii Corys
1 Albino BN pleco
1 Bolivian or GBR
2 Dwarf Gourami's

not sure if I should substitue the Gourami's for more of a Mid level swimmer as my guppies and Gourami's will probable clash... Any suggestions?

Almost everyone here will tell you to do only 1 dwarf gourami. They can get very aggressive and territorial in pairs.

Gouramis actually do swim in the middle and bottom, they just go to the top for air, so you should be fine.

I have read somewhere that Gourami's prefer a top water plant as well. Is that the case and if so are there any silk floating plants I can use or really low light floater?

Well, I had amazon frogbit.

But my dwarf gourami ate it. Almost ALL of it...

So I'd do a fake floater if you don't want it eaten.

Its true that the gouramis cannot be togther because they will be very territorial and will kill each other. Also can i reccommend getting two of the rams they do better in pairs. Other thank that everything is perfect :)

Are German's and Bolivians pretty much the same compatibility wise? Meaning will it be better to have two GBR's as well? Also, how hard are they to take care of? I have heard a lot of mixed opinions.

You don't need to have 2, and as long as your tankmates and parameters are good and your temp is high enough, and you acclimate well and they have enough hiding places, it should be fine! But having 2 may make them happier.

Right now Params are:

pH- 7.4
Ammo- 0
Nitrite- 0
NitrAte- 5-10 ppm
Temp- 78*

Thinking about purchasing an Aquaclear HOB today or a cheapy cannister to help with filtration as well. Just have the Aqueon Quietflow 30 (rated to 45 gals) atm.

EHEIM Classic External Canister - Filters - Fish - PetSmart

would that filter plus my HOB be sufficient or should I save and get a Fluval 305?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with canister filters, but IMO an aquaclear 50 plus your aqueon will be adequate, probably.

that's a good stocking list with room to grow! what id do thow (and this is just me bc i love cories) id take the corys up to 8 bc they are soooooo fun to watch!

I have 6 in the tank right now and they're hilarious... a couple of them ride my bubbles to the top and then back down.

on a sad note I found one of my guppies bloated and dying today...I try not to overfeed but when I have fish that eat similar foods how do I stop them from stealing some of the other fishes and overeating?

Back
Top Bottom