Stocking Advice for Community 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, so I this is my planned stock for a planted 55gallon community tank. Any opinions/comments will be appreciated!

9 Neon Tetras
9 Black Neon Tetras
9 Harlequin Rasboras
9 Galaxy Rasboras (If I can find any)
5 Otos
5 or 7 Corys
1 Starlight Bristlenose or Gold Nugget
Ghost shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp
Malaysian Trumpet Snails

If I can't get my hands on the rare, but beautiful, Galaxy Danio, can you guys recommend a species that will replace them? Preferably a tetra or a rasbora. Thanks guys!

I heard Otos are territorial. Not 100 percent sure but I would Definatly look into that. I would also suggest a centerpiece fish. Other than that your stock sounds pretty good :)

Oh, also if you can't find the galaxy's, look at buenos aires tetras. I think that's what they're called. They look really kool

Rainbow fish could be an alternative to the galaxy

Galaxy rasboras/celestial pearl danios will be totally lost in the shuffle in that tank imo. This is a shy species that is easily outcompeted for food, and you have 4 or 5 species listed that will easily out compete them.

Also, I'd scrap the gold nugget. This is a species that typically fares poorly in captivity, and if you did manage to grow one out to adult size, it would be quite taxing on a 55 as far as bioload.

Last edited:
The otocinclus is not territorial but is delicate so a well established tank would be best.

Galaxy rasboras/celestial pearl danios will be totally lost in the shuffle in that tank imo. This is a shy species that is easily outcompeted for food, and you have 4 or 5 species listed that will easily out compete them.

Also, I'd scrap the gold nugget. This is a species that typically fares poorly in captivity, and if you did manage to grow one out to adult size, it would be quite taxing on a 55 as far as bioload.

Really? I thought goldnuggets grow to about 6". Would you recommend a starlight bristlenose then?

Back
Top Bottom