Stocking advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CPD's thrive in the low 70's and betta's thrive at 80. I don't think it's a great mix for this reason. You can keep the CPD's higher than ideal, but it's going to shorten their lifespan. You'd be better off to pick something more temperature compatible, such as ember tetras.

siva said:
CPD's thrive in the low 70's and betta's thrive at 80. I don't think it's a great mix for this reason. You can keep the CPD's higher than ideal, but it's going to shorten their lifespan. You'd be better of to pick something more temperature compatible, such as ember tetras.

Good point, my CPDs are unheated.

As are mine. I did a lot of research on it and concluded over 75 is too high for them.

Hmm...not particularly loving the ember tetras. how about the harlequin rasboras? Would they work with the betta? And are the corydoras habrosus compatible temperature wise?

Fishies86 said:
Hmm...not particularly loving the ember tetras. how about the harlequin rasboras? Would they work with the betta? And are the corydoras habrosus compatible temperature wise?

C. habrosus supposedly can handle a wide range, but do seem to do best in cooler temps. Mine are also unheated. My bedroom tanks all stay very stable at 70-72f without a heater.

My Bettas are currently not heated either, but I find that as long as they are 70s and NOT into 60s in temp, they eat well and are not prone to issues.

I do recommend heat for Bettas. Just saying what my set ups are. YMMV

As far as Cories with Bettas ? It depends on the Betta. I had a VT Betta kill Panda Cories in a 12g. Perhaps if they'd been introduced first it may have worked. But the only fish he allowed were 3 White Clouds. But some Bettas are fine with other fish. I use live plants these days and that helps fish have hiding spots too.

I did some research and I talked to my co worker at the lfs I work at and he has his cpd's in a 20 gallon tank with his male crowntail set at a temp of 79 degrees farenheit. His tank has been set up over a year and a half. As for lifespan being affected I don't see how it would be when their temperature range is 73-79 and a Betta would do fine in that range. I have my Betta in my heated ten gallon at 76-78. And I'm pretty sure the cories she likes would be happy as well.

Heh heh, confused.com! ;) my tank at the moment is set at 25°C which I think is about 77/78°f? Would this be ok if I have just the cpds and the corys and maybe forget the betta? Or could I have the betta too? I'm confused now :/

I went to see if any of the fish shops around here would be able to order me in the cpds and corys, and the second one I went into had both in the tanks! :) so excited! Having seen them both now, I'm gonna have to have both if I can :) if it means I can't have the betta coz of temp, then ill have to rethink that.

The cpds,i can get four for £20 and the corys were also £5 each. Gonna be expensive but hopefully worth it ;)

25 Celsius is 77 Fahrenheit so even if you cranked it to 26 celsius that would put it at 78.8 Fahrenheit so you would be perfectly fine with those temps. Like I said earlier all three species would be perfectly suitable. If you drop the Betta and kept the corys and cpd's you could maybe add something else. If not I'd increase the cpd school to 10 and keep the corys at 5

Fishies86 said:
Would it be possible to add otos to this mix at all? If so, how many?

Otos might work once the tank is established. But they are sensitive at first !!! The first two weeks are touchy. Once they are established they do well. Shrimp safe.

The tank is a bit small for oto's IMO. They do well in groups of 3 or more, but it's best to stock only 1 per 5 gals, so I wouldn't add more than 2 if you decide to get them. They are typically wild caught and can be hard to supplement. The tank should be established for atleast 6 mos before adding them.

I've had the tank(with fish in) for over a year, and there is quite a lot of algae growing :) if they ate it all, I'd just grow algae on rocks in the window sill.

for a 10g cory and betta set-up i would recommend 5 corys and only one betta. also make sure you have about 3-4 live plants in there. as for the other fish, i've never dealt with them, so i'm sorry but i can't comment on them.

I've had the tank(with fish in) for over a year, and there is quite a lot of algae growing :) if they ate it all, I'd just grow algae on rocks in the window sill.
If you're willing to do that, and keep them in a group smaller than recommended, then that should work.

Just thought I'd give you all an update on what's happening ;)

I got three otos to go in my tank, but one died within a few days, so down to two now.

Switched my gravel to sand today. I ended up going for silver sand, not black sand. The black sand all seemed to have quite a large grain size, and I wanted it as fine as I could get for the dwarf corys :)

So the tank looks really nice now. I've taken out a big cave I had in there, and put in a couple of bits of driftwood. There looks like there's a lot more space in the tank now, and because my crypts have grown, there's a lot of shaded covered areas of sand that the dwarf corys are going to be able to hide in when I get them :) still needs a little bit of tweaking though. Hoping my otos will be ok. They got quite stressed when I switched the substrate. One went almost white :/

Next step is to get some dwarf corys :) can't wait! So excited :)

I got a beta once, regretted it completely. I had neons, guppies (drab colours) cories.... It killed 4 guppies, gave my 8 neons fin rot, and bit my corys.... + in the fish shop he was fine.. Kevin had to go back.

Womble1234 said:
I got a beta once, regretted it completely. I had neons, guppies (drab colours) cories.... It killed 4 guppies, gave my 8 neons fin rot, and bit my corys.... + in the fish shop he was fine.. Kevin had to go back.

Aw, unlucky :(

Back
Top Bottom