Stocking advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I've just seen blue pearl shrimp and bumblebee shrimp and they look awesome! Would I be able to have some of either in my tank with the fish mentioned above? Particularly interested In the blue pearl shrimp, but I know nothing about shrimp yet :/

Dwarf Corydoras may have the word Dwarf in their name but do require at least a 30 inch / 76cm length. But Pygmy Corydoras, 6, plus a Betta would make a perfect stock or 6 Kuhli Loaches, or CPDs. Good luck

cd102298 said:
Dwarf Corydoras may have the word Dwarf in their name but do require at least a 30 inch / 76cm length. But Pygmy Corydoras, 6, plus a Betta would make a perfect stock or 6 Kuhli Loaches, or CPDs. Good luck

I definitely want corys for the bottom :) which is dwarf and which is pygmy? I want corydoras habrosus, but is that dwarf or pygmy?

Fishies86 said:
I definitely want corys for the bottom :) which is dwarf and which is pygmy? I want corydoras habrosus, but is that dwarf or pygmy?

Ok, I really hate common names.
DWARF Cories include 3 species commonly available.
C habrosus
C hastatus
C pygmaeus ( Pygmy Cory)

The words Pygmy and Dwarf both mean small, but the true Pygmy Cory is C pygmaeus. C habrosus' common name is Salt and Pepper Cory BUT it's too similar to the PEPPERED Cory C paleatus, so I refuse to use that name.

All 3 species stay under or barely over 1 inch. I have habrosus in a 10g and they do well. They can be bred in a 10 but a 20Long is best.

LFSs often say they have habrosus, but turn out to have hastatus or pygmaeus in my area. Make sure you check the Latin name and take pics to compare. I know several people who THOUGHT they were buying habrosus till the fish kept getting larger, because they trusted common names.

Coursair said:
Ok, I really hate common names.
DWARF Cories include 3 species commonly available.
C habrosus
C hastatus
C pygmaeus ( Pygmy Cory)

The words Pygmy and Dwarf both mean small, but the true Pygmy Cory is C pygmaeus. C habrosus' common name is Salt and Pepper Cory BUT it's too similar to the PEPPERED Cory C paleatus, so I refuse to use that name.

All 3 species stay under or barely over 1 inch. I have habrosus in a 10g and they do well. They can be bred in a 10 but a 20Long is best.

LFSs often say they have habrosus, but turn out to have hastatus or pygmaeus in my area. Make sure you check the Latin name and take pics to compare. I know several people who THOUGHT they were buying habrosus till the fish kept getting larger, because they trusted common names.

I totally agree with you, which is why I asked for clarification ;) I have the same problem working In a garden centre. people come in and ask for a japonica which describes about 12 different plants we stock.

Plus people from different countries call the same thing by different common names. So corydoras habrosus (which is the one I'm after) could be called a dwarf cory in one country and a pygmy cory in another :/

Ok, just a quick update :) my tank now has silver sand instead of gravel, my plants are growing like crazy! I gave the gourami to a friend who knows what he's doing and has a much bigger tank. And I now have 6 corydoras habrosus :D they are the cutest little things ever!! I'm so in love with them :D

next step is to get the galaxy rasboras. I'm waiting a while to get those though as they're gonna cost me about £50! They're nice healthy fish though, so should be with it :) its my birthday next month so hopefully will be getting lots of gift vouchers :D

I'm so excited to be doing the tank properly this time :)

Fishies86 said:
Ok, just a quick update :) my tank now has silver sand instead of gravel, my plants are growing like crazy! I gave the gourami to a friend who knows what he's doing and has a much bigger tank. And I now have 6 corydoras habrosus :D they are the cutest little things ever!! I'm so in love with them :D

next step is to get the galaxy rasboras. I'm waiting a while to get those though as they're gonna cost me about £50! They're nice healthy fish though, so should be with it :) its my birthday next month so hopefully will be getting lots of gift vouchers :D

I'm so excited to be doing the tank properly this time :)

Congrats. C habrosus are super cute !!

Back
Top Bottom