Stocking Calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
How come when I add a certain amount of fish to a 37 gallon, it says its stocked 161%, but if you add just 3 gallons, to a 40 gallon, the stocking percentage is 90%. How does 3 gallons make that big of a difference?

They dont work. I go buy the 1" rule for small fish. For bigger fish you have to go by the full grown size

They are just a tool so not completely correct. Though to be honest I'd trust it over the inch inch per gallon rule which is way off. At least things like aqua advisor try to take fish needs, size and filtration into account.

If you post here about what you were thinking about I'm sure you would get some good feed back.

Are you also inputting that you have 37 gallons of water in that 37 tank? You actually have a good amount less when you subtract for the water displaced by substrate and decorations.

reefdiver said:
They dont work. I go buy the 1" rule for small fish. For bigger fish you have to go by the full grown size

That rule really doesn't work. I prefer the stocking calculators. I'm not sure how it did that sorry.

Here's why -

A 37 gallon tank is tall.
A 40 gallon tank is long.
Most fish like horizontal swimming space, therefore you can put less in a taller tank.

With those calculators, more goes in than just tank size and fish. It has a lot of variables. But nothing's perfect.
General rule is - use them to start your stock plan based on what fish you like.
Then, do research on specific species of fish you plan on and make sure they'll be happy together or with the environment you're hopefully planning.
Last, ask an expert, or an experienced aquarist, like some members found here. Sometimes aggression can be an unseen factor between two similar species.

Hope this helped.

What kind of 40 gal are you putting in? If it's a 40 breeder it's much different than a 37 gal as the 40 breeder is wider and longer. Those tools are a good starting point but can be incorrect so additional research is always best. :)

Back
Top Bottom