stocking CPD's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
How many CPD's (another name is Galaxy rasbora) do you think would be ok in a 29g tank? They would be the only fish other than a couple shrimp and 3 ottos. Thanks for help.

The general rule for that situation is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water or alternatively 1cm per litre (no they're not equal, just guidelines). So you have 30 inches to play with.

3 ottos is a great number to have. I have 3 in my 15G planted and they are the life of the tank. If you are over-filtered, you can increase the fish numbers past that, but you must be extremely diligent on water changes and overstocking is not recommended if you're a beginner.

Well i'm 13 but i dont consider myself a beginner and i definetly dont consider myself an expert, but i haven't ever kept any CPD's and i saw them in an artical a little while ago and i thought they looked pretty cool so i'm looking into getting them. I might even just get 3 of them and 3 ottos, because they like their space and i like it when you dont see a ton of fish all shoved up in one tank. And if you see your fish less often it seems cooler when you do see them. Do you know how to breed them? (just curius) maybe i would give it a try. Cause CPD's are $8 a piece and they dont do much to the bioload, and to stock a 29g with them is talkin about $200 or so (and i just don't have that type of money). Thanks for your help. Oh and i looked at your 15g tank and i saw it was heavily planted. I'm just starting at plants and i currently have some type of bulb in my 10 gallon and it has done great. Any advice on a nice looking plant for a begginer? Thanks :)

You will need more than 3 of them if you want any decent chance at breeding them. You have a 75% chance of getting a male and female with 3 fish that are randomly selected. Also, it's recommended by many that a newly discovered species such as the CPD only be purchase by experienced breeders. Once the experienced breeders have flooded the market with their successes then it'd be okay for a novice to try their hand at them. There's no sense in depleting the amount available just to "give it a try". Just my two cents.

The general rule for that situation is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water or alternatively 1cm per litre (no they're not equal, just guidelines). So you have 30 inches to play with.

3 ottos is a great number to have. I have 3 in my 15G planted and they are the life of the tank. If you are over-filtered, you can increase the fish numbers past that, but you must be extremely diligent on water changes and overstocking is not recommended if you're a beginner.
i personally hate that rule guideline and think it should never be repeated because its so off bases in so many ways.

You will need more than 3 of them if you want any decent chance at breeding them. You have a 75% chance of getting a male and female with 3 fish that are randomly selected. Also, it's recommended by many that a newly discovered species such as the CPD only be purchase by experienced breeders. Once the experienced breeders have flooded the market with their successes then it'd be okay for a novice to try their hand at them. There's no sense in depleting the amount available just to "give it a try". Just my two cents.
they got into the hands of the fish farmers and i dont think now people have to worry so much....

also they were renamed again to Celestichthys margaritatus.....

there are places you can find them cheaper. i was selling them for $4 each in larger groups.

In a 29g, you'd be fine with around 12ish of them. They are small, but they do like swimming room. They tend to be less shy with larger groups, so definitely get atleast 8....10 or 12 or 14 would be better though.

Give them alot of plants, whether real or fake to hide in. They like cooler water too.

You can get more than a couple shrimp too (I recommend starting with like 10-15 of those as well). :)

Thank you for your kind comments. Good beginner plants are anubias, hygro (also sometimes called stricta), java moss and java fern. Those are good low-light plants anyway and I have found if you're not a wonderful green-thumb these are good plants to start with.

Mgamer is right on that rule. The rule is general guideline and doesn't apply to pico or supa-large tanks and in some other situations so apply it with caution.

Back
Top Bottom