Stocking Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoran47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, so I'm currently restocking my 26g tank and I love Dwarf Gouramis. They are probably my favorite fish out there currently, and I really want to have them in the tank. I am doing a lot of research, but I still already made the first classic pitfall of buying two males. I am going to return one, I just need to discover which one is stronger.

Anyway, I digress, currently in my tank I have 6 Glolight tetras, 6 Albino Corys, and the 2 Gouramis. I want to add a female Gourami after returning the male. Is it better to pair the gouramis in a 1 to 1 ratio, or is it better to to go harem style and do a 1 to 2 ratio? Also, could possibly keep both males if I had enough females present in the tank? I can probably house a few more Gouramis, as my tank isn't very stocked atm. Thanks for any advice you can give to me on this matter!! :D

P.S. Besides letting the gouramis acclimate, is there a way to entice the fish to come out of their hiding a little more frequently? I know they are naturally shy, but is there something I can do to make them feel more comfortable?

Need to have a lot of hiding places, so they will feel secure and know they have somewhere they can go if they feel threatened.. And fast swimming fish can usually bother them and make them feel uncomfortable. Also fast flowing water may put them off

Need to have a lot of hiding places, so they will feel secure and know they have somewhere they can go if they feel threatened.. And fast swimming fish can usually bother them and make them feel uncomfortable. Also fast flowing water may put them off

Thanks! Currently I have two very nice caves on either side of the aquarium, both with plenty of artificial plant cover behind them. (The smaller cave has more plants behind it, so that neither is really "better" than the other). The filter has some current, but that stays mostly at the top of the tank (which is tall, and not very long) a doesn't interfere with the gouramis' breathing at all.

Though that still leaves me with the question of how to add females. Should I only get one, or should I get two?

Thanks! Currently I have two very nice caves on either side of the aquarium, both with plenty of artificial plant cover behind them. (The smaller cave has more plants behind it, so that neither is really "better" than the other). The filter has some current, but that stays mostly at the top of the tank (which is tall, and not very long) a doesn't interfere with the gouramis' breathing at all.

Though that still leaves me with the question of how to add females. Should I only get one, or should I get two?

I'm not sure about that too much but I'd suggest 1 because if they do pair, they will pick on the other female not in the pair

After doing some research I have been getting several conflicting reports on how to stock gouramis. Some sites and articles say that there should be more females than males, to spread the males aggressivness around. Other articles and people say to do a 1 to 1, provided plenty of plants and hiding spaces. Which is better? (I am planning to add one more medium sized cave to the tank, as well as adding more plants. Just saying so there is an idea for my aquascape and how well the fish can hide)

After doing some research I have been getting several conflicting reports on how to stock gouramis. Some sites and articles say that there should be more females than males, to spread the males aggressivness around. Other articles and people say to do a 1 to 1, provided plenty of plants and hiding spaces. Which is better? (I am planning to add one more medium sized cave to the tank, as well as adding more plants. Just saying so there is an idea for my aquascape and how well the fish can hide)

Well it depends on how many you want... Keeping a 1:1 could be bad if you had 2 of each.. Since they could both take a liking to the same girl and fight a lot .. So I suggest either 1 male and 4/5 females so 1 female isn't picked on or just 1 male 1 female

Back
Top Bottom