Stocking / Fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuzkots

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there!

I just got offered a 20g (long) tank from a friend who lost all his fish and gave up on the hobby. I already have a fully stocked 16g community tank so I'm excited to get new fish! I've done some research but would like to hear your opinions and advice!

1st question - would this combination of fish be ok (and happy) in a 20g?

- 10 celestial pearl danios
- 6 panda corys
- 2 peacock gudgeons
- 1 dwarf gourami

2nd question - if the above is ok, in which order should I introduce the fish into the tank?

I'm planning on dark sand substrate, live plants, rocks and driftwood.
Also going to do fishless cycling - learning from mistakes, ha! So I have plenty of time to do proper research first if anyone has any other fish suggestions!

Thank you!

There was no need for you to post this thread...you are on the money. That will be a great setup! I would get all the plants in the first, then wait until its cycled, then the gourami first for maybe a month, then the cories in two batches, then the CPDs then lastly the peacock gudgeon.

There was no need for you to post this thread...you are on the money. That will be a great setup! I would get all the plants in the first, then wait until its cycled, then the gourami first for maybe a month, then the cories in two batches, then the CPDs then lastly the peacock gudgeon.

Yay! I'm so excited I got it right haha! Thank you!
Do you think I could get away with 2-3 more CPDs, and maybe a female gourami, or would that be pushing it?

I agree, add a couple of short lengths of pvc pipe for the gudgeons, and they may surprise you with babies, if you have a pair.

You could do a couple more CPDs but I wouldn't recommend two gourami of the same species in such a small tank. How about one honey gourami, and one dwarf. Just make sure you test your water when all the fish are in the tank to make sure you aren't getting in the danger zone.

I agree, add a couple of short lengths of pvc pipe for the gudgeons, and they may surprise you with babies, if you have a pair.

Thanks! Yes I'm planning a pair. I'll be adding rock caves and a ceramic pot so hoping to see babies in the future!

Sounds great! If I were you i'd introduce the Gourami later on though - when I first got my male DG they went after EVERYTHING in the tank until I quarantined them for a couple of nights and put them back in. I'm talking everything from Angelfish to Swordtails though, it wasn't just small fish they went after.

Good Luck. :)

You could do a couple more CPDs but I wouldn't recommend two gourami of the same species in such a small tank. How about one honey gourami, and one dwarf. Just make sure you test your water when all the fish are in the tank to make sure you aren't getting in the danger zone.

Thanks for the advice!
Will having two male gouramis of different species not cause agression issues? I already have one male dwarf gourami in my community tank and he's very well behaved, so I think I'll be moving him to the new tank. If I could get away with a male honey gourami that would be a bonus, they're beautiful!
As for the water testing, I'm a little OCD and test all the time, so no spikes can happen without being noticed :)

Back
Top Bottom