Stocking for 40 gallon/150ltr (50cm tall) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaSi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just completed a fishless cycle with my new 40 gallon tank and I wanted to get some advice on stocking. It´s quite heavily planted with plenty of hiding places.

I just added:
- 5 x Cory catfish
- 1 x Bristlenose pleco

I am thinking of adding:
- 1 x Angelfish (1 female)
- 2 x Blue German Ram (2 females)
- 8 to 10 x tetras

Firstly do you think I have space for all of the above? And secondly do you think I will have any issues in terms of fighting, or territory issues? All will be added as juvenile fish at the same time (except the Corys and Bristlenose which are already living there happily).

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

I would skip the angelfish for a couple of reasons. First, they are much happier in groups and less aggressive when there is a group of them. Female angels, in my experience are no less aggressive than males. How would you know you were getting a female, anyway, they are so hard to sex.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I have friends that have kept a single angelfish in community tanks and not had any issues, and also the advice from my lfs is that by having several angelfish there is more likely to be issues as they pair off, or when males are competing for females. I was told that you will not have these issues with just one, although it would establish it´s territory, which should be fine in a 40 gallon tank.

It seems that there is no correct answer when it come to some topics, as people have had different experiences, and each fish is different.

I want something like an angel because I would like 1 slightly larger fish in the tank

Back
Top Bottom